Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There's a black hole in my sewing room... >

There's a black hole in my sewing room...

There's a black hole in my sewing room...

Old 09-06-2011, 03:02 AM

I have threatened my kids with there life if they touch any of my sewing sissors or seam rippers. so they always ask which sissors they can use. They are all adults now and when they come for a visit stil ask which ones are safe to use. LOL
Old 09-06-2011, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
I have threatened my kids with there life if they touch any of my sewing sissors or seam rippers. so they always ask which sissors they can use. They are all adults now and when they come for a visit stil ask which ones are safe to use. LOL
Same here. When kids needs scissors they ask which ones are okay to use on paper. Only took a year to train them also.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:36 AM
Power Poster

And mine has to be stuffed with fabric also- cuz I know I bought it, so where did it go ????? LOL
Old 09-06-2011, 03:40 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Painiacs
I'm like Deanna tie it around my neck!!!
Maybe with an elastic cord, so it can reach wherever you want it to...
Old 09-06-2011, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
..and scissors, rulers, seam rippers all disappear without trace into it. Today I have to buy a new seam ripper because I can't find either of the ones I already have. And I do try to keep the place tidy...
I think that - here for now guy - may have been to your place, he's at my house now and then. He'll put something - here for now - and then can't remember where he put it. haha
Old 09-06-2011, 04:19 AM

Call me crazy, but I use two aluminum pie pans/plates (the throw away kind). Most of the time they are one under the other with scissors, seam ripper, pin cushion, fabric markers, etc. When I want to take something to the living room to hand sew (like binding), I put just what I need in the bottom pan (thread, pin cushion with needles, scissors, thimble, etc) and take it along. The pan is big enough not to get lost.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
Originally Posted by annesthreads
..and scissors, rulers, seam rippers all disappear without trace into it. Today I have to buy a new seam ripper because I can't find either of the ones I already have. And I do try to keep the place tidy...
Some folks make a fabric caddy that holds all of that stuff and either hang it off the edge of the sewing table or otherwise attach it to their sewing machine. I found it easier to have multiples of each of the items I use for sewing/quilting and have them where I use them. On the cutting table, on the pressing/ironing table, at the sewing machine. They never seem to get lost that way as you are not "leaving" them one place and forgetting them. Also "NOBODY" gets to use any of my scissors. Under threat of instant death! I have lots of other scissors in the kitchen, at my wife's office desk, in the basement, wherever cutting is necessary. Those are the scissors that are used for cutting all that stuff that ruins the sharpness of scissors. When they get to bad I will have them sharpened, or sharpen them myself.
John
YES!! Any one that picks up my sewing scissors to cut anything but fabric better watch out. I have paper cutting scissors that are available through out the house.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:18 AM

I have 3 machines on the table where I work most of the time,(Serger, Blind stitch hemmer and regular) I have a small pair of scissors tied with a ribbon to each of them,But seam ripper is always getting lost.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:27 AM

I lost at least five pairs of "cheaters" glasses in the black hole of my sewing room. Finally gave in and bought a pair that live on my face.

Not sure if any of you read the comic strip "Rose is Rose" but her keys are always disappearing. In the next frame you see her keys morphing into a glass of orange juice or some other object. I have often wondered........
Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 AM

I am sure all of the black holes are sneaky and eat our tools when we are not looking and then they take them out into space where they get together and join up to have a party and have such a good time they forget to come home again.
Works for me. lol Gleniveve.