Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Sewing Machines..... >

Singer Sewing Machines.....

Singer Sewing Machines.....

Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 AM

Vintage machines may be good, but stay away from the models made in the 1970s. That was when Singer sold out or was bought out by another company (can't remember who) but I remember our hs had just gotten several new ones and when I asked the home ec. teacher about it, she adamantly told me, "they are junk!" During the same era, Harley-Davidson motorcycles did the same thing and they were also known as junk. The former owner of HD bought it back and Harleys are super popular again.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by debby wicke
Please some explain to me why the excitement over antique sewing machines. I don't understand.
They sew a straight stitch (perfect top stitching - have to see to believe!), can sew through just about anything, don't wear out, some of mine have a much larger harp space for quilting, the Fetherweight is so much lighter as a 'take with' machine - and I don't worry about messing up the computer. I can let my DGD sew on them without worrying about her messing up the computer or pushing all the buttons - easy to teach sewing on. I like how they look and how they are built. I do love my serger, I have a couple stitches on one machine (Janome) I absolutely love for crazy quilting, and I use the other with the embroidery for sewing as well as embroidery. But - I love the button holes I get with the old machines and the attachments! I can even use the straight stitching machines to machines to do fancy stitches with the attachments! I don't know - maybe vintage machines are something you either love or you don't. Oh another plus - I bought all my vintage machines, including the FW ($165) and another one 185J ($60) and the price added up to less than I'd spend on one newer sewing machine that are won't last and doesn't sew as well.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry
Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles
Originally Posted by brushandthimble
my vintage are new to me this year, 1952 FW, and #301A. I love the straight seam, and the 301 I got Sat, did the best SID I have ever done.
Thing if I add a walking foot to the 301 I can sell my Brother 1500.
can you find a walking foot for the 301 ????
slant needle SINGER is there a walking foot that works with this machine???
Here is a link where you can get a walking foot for the 301

I have the 404 and that is still the problem. The sig-sag feet on that unit will not cover the feed dogs on the straight stitch of the 404. Very narrow feed dog profile. I keep hoping that somebody will make one that works, but it probably is vaporware as of now.
John
http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Sing...?categoryId=-1
I got one for my 301 and I really like it a lot.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by debby wicke
Please some explain to me why the excitement over antique sewing machines. I don't understand.
I can fix them myself. They're made to last. They sew beautifully. :)

This 1947 Singer model 15 is my favorite quilting machine. Lots of room under the arm and a perfect stitch. I've done most of my queen and king size quilts on this machine or one very similar. I've had four 15's - gave away two of them, but I still have two more. LOVE them! :)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-252438.jpe
Views:	188
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	252444  
Old 09-06-2011, 09:36 AM

slant needle SINGER is there a walking foot that works with this machine???[/quote]
To my knowledge, there has been a lot of talk on the Singer boards about the Walking foot issue, and I have not heard anybody come up with a really good option as now.
John[/quote]
I use a walking foot on my 301's, 401, 404, and 500 Rocketeers (all slant needle) and don't have any problem with them. I also do free motion quilting on the 400's and 500's w/o any problems. I tried it on the 301 and had a hard time with it...I now have a second 301, but haven't tried FMQ on it as of yet.[/quote]

I've been able to free motion on my FW 221 and 222's and my 301. I also have walking feet for all of them that work really well. I'm now on the hunt for a 401 or 500 so I can have zigzag stitches when I need them. Then I won't be buying new machines except for embroidery if and when I wear my Janome's out. I can sew more accurately with the mechanical machines. I can maintain my own mechanical machines and they don't balk at several layers of fabric. IMO there isn't a new computerized machine made that can outset my vintage Singer collections.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:43 AM

I love and use my vintage machines every day! I seldom use my wonderful Bernina. I have 19 vintage, 15 are Singer. They are easy to maintain and have a wonderful straight stitch for piecing which is what I mostly do.......I do quilt on my pfaff Grand quilter.

Pretty maids all in a row!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-252447.jpe
Views:	181
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	252453  
Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

The old Elna's are a fabulous machine too. They have a variety of disks for a wider variety of stitches. They are fairly rugged. I say that because I wore one out. BUT I was sewing on it every day - (probably needed an industrial machine)and I wasn't keeping the lint out of the bobbin area as much as is needed for an Elna.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by harrishs
I love and use my vintage machines every day! I seldom use my wonderful Bernina. I have 19 vintage, 15 are Singer. They are easy to maintain and have a wonderful straight stitch for piecing which is what I mostly do.......I do quilt on my pfaff Grand quilter.

Pretty maids all in a row!
Is that a tan FW on the end? They look so pretty all lined up!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:29 AM

my vintage are new to me this year, 1952 FW, and #301A. I love the straight seam, and the 301 I got Sat, did the best SID I have ever done.
Yes, SewClassic.com has one especially for the 301 but you have to be patient and keep cking since he sells them fast and sometimes out of stock...I lucked out and hit it right one morning after cking for over a mth...at 6am he had one in stock I grabbed it. Works great...He has one in stock but you have to make revisions to it to make it fit right and he tells you that on the site. The other fits perfect...
Old 09-06-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
To my knowledge, there has been a lot of talk on the Singer boards about the Walking foot issue, and I have not heard anybody come up with a really good option as now. There are some people who jury rig something but the slant needle is the killer.
John
SewClassic.com has the slant needle walking foot that he sells that needs no revisions...he does carry one that he tells you has to be revised and how to do it if you don't want to wait on the revised one he sells if Out of Stock