Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
**SENSIBLE STASHING SUGGESTIONS** >

**SENSIBLE STASHING SUGGESTIONS**

**SENSIBLE STASHING SUGGESTIONS**

Old 09-06-2011, 11:20 AM

My quilting stash, with the exception of the flannels are all ruler folded and sorted by background color and put into the drawers with like background colors. I have them in the drawers so that I can see each fabric that's in the drawers, without scrounging around looking for a particular piece. The flannels are also ruler folded but are in three 65 qt. plastic totes, simply because I don't have enough room for them in the drawers and I don't use them as often as the regular cotton. The NON quilting fabrics are all folded and in the same size plastic totes as the flannels, I try to keep all the like materials together in the same tote. My scraps to be cut into squares and strips are in the large plastic totes.

The smaller pieces I would go ahead and cut them according to Bonnie Hunter's method.

I'm sure that you'll get lots of ideas, so you can try different methods and see what works best for YOU.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 AM

I swiped a discarded cardboard display with cubby holes from work use that to store the majority of my fabrics. I've only been stashing for about six months so I don't have a lot to organize, but they're either sorted by color or what project they're intended for. Right now I have blacks and whites, blues, purples, Kittie shirts (Kittie is the name of a band I love---see avatar), and superhero logo shirts. There was a few more piles, but I'm currently cutting out those fabrics.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia
Check out this site for ideas:

http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml

This woman has made a huge impact on my stash that was built up over 10 years of quilting.
That's a wonderful website. So much information. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:53 AM

I don't have much to add, I like my stash on shelves sorted by color.I will not use a tub that is not see through, except for fleeces and PFD fabric. Smaller pieces go in 2 baskets- one marked strips, the other is bits. I quilt, sew and craft. That is what works for me
Old 09-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

I just changed my room around and took all of the fabric out of the plastic bins and am now storing them (primarily) by color. Some fabric is stacked by type (batics, kid prints, food stuff, Holiday, and solids).

Check out p214 of my PDA for pics of my stash.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-24832-214.htm
Old 09-06-2011, 12:29 PM

I use a method similar to this http://turningturning.com/tutorial-folding-fabric/ for folding my fabrics. I took this box:
[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-O...8/pa111837.jpg[/img]

and turned it into this:
[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-y...8/PC202133.JPG[/img]

and trimmed the weird leftovers into strips & squares:
[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-S...8/PC202130.JPG[/img]
(these are now stored in clear plastic shoe boxes, instead of my filing cabinet)

And here's my studio (one floor layout ago, but the shelves are still basically the same)
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...8/P6182896.JPG[/img]

It works well for me, because the fabric is folded to just the right size for my shelves, and I can see what I have in my stash. The folding method doesn't work as well on pieces larger than 4 yds, but I still make it work!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:38 PM

WOW, what an incredible number of totally helpful responses . . . what a wonderfully diverse group we are and you guys are the best . . . I think I have enough incentive to at least start sorting my new 'stash' and taking it one step at a time. Do believe I will leave the colour groups until last . . . separate according to size first, then go for the colours and at times, just go with my gut . . . your suggestions are terrific and what a great group to belong to . . . will keep you posted . . . if I get totally disenchanted (certainlly hope I don't) I will know where to turn to next . . . thanks again.
Margaret :thumbup:
Old 09-06-2011, 05:36 PM

Hi all! I'm new here and was just browsing the topics and the words "sensible stash" caught my eye. Now we ALL know that that phrase is such a LIE! From the day we bought our first yard of fabric, cut it, sewed it into something pretty and SAVED ALL THOSE PRETTY LITTLE PIECES, "sensible" went out the window. Am I a liar? I think not. LOL
I sort everything by fabric type (cotton, terry cloth, canvas...) then sort those by color and yardage amount. Anything fat quarter or smaller is sorted by color and put in those clear shoe boxes you can get for a dollar each right now.
I do the same with ribbon, buttons, safety pins, zippers, bias tape, purse hardware...yada, yada, yada. One thing that i do recommend is that you wash all fabric then iron it and fold it neatly. it will store flatter if it is folded. I fold mine just like it comes of the bolt - fewer crease lines
I have a forty year stash. It's really a fetish, an expensive habit (right up there with meth) and some days i just like to get all out and touch it and refold it and try to remember why the #!&# I bought it! lol I converted my large two car garage into a shop with shelves and work areas. If I'd been able to run water to it I would never have to come in!!!
there is as website called stashbusters where they are dedicated to making things out of your stash and not buying anything for a year
Old 09-06-2011, 07:22 PM

thanks mamacool; you certainly brought a smile to my face . . :lol:
Old 09-07-2011, 05:26 AM

you will find the method that suits you and that you like best...i started storing accoring to theme, then went on the projects, then finally decided i needed it sorted according to color.......you will find your niche!!!