Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 09-06-2011, 05:39 PM

love featherweights, have several pics later.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by hpylady
Originally Posted by traumaRN
My featherweight and 301 in their respective tables with a quilt in progress (qip??) totally pieced on my fw. I stopped working on this to work on a raffle quilt for our Christmas project. Hope to have it on the longarm by the end of the week. It, too is totally pieced using my vintage machines.
Just ordered the featherweight table for my "Norma"! :thumbup:
Congrats to you and Norma! You will love the table. It will put Norma at the perfect height and still give you plenty of room to sew.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:42 PM

I got one this summer on ebay but haven't used her much yet. I should be able to get her in for servicing later this month and then she'll be good to go. I have a book on my wish list for Christmas on how to clean and oil her so then I should be able to care for her myself.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Anyone heard of this one?
FW clone called the MINI Classic made in the 90's.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/hsh/2449094017.html

This guy is always posting some cool looking or pretty machine, but he is a bit high for me. I try to get all my machines around a $100 or less.

I copied the picture just in case the listing is removed.

Oh, and motor looks huge!
That DOES resemble the Feather Weight!!
Be sew careful, they are now producing them in China, they are not singer featherweights.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:07 AM

I've had one since I was 5 years old, Both of my G-mothers were seamstresses, not learning to sew was not an option, thankfully :) I now have 3 sewing G-daughters of which I am trying to find a couple more so they may continue the same heritage... :-D
Old 09-07-2011, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by misscarol
You know, I have a featherweight and I really don't like sewing on it. I have become so used to my Pfaff with the IDF that I find it very hard to sew on anything else. I am seriously considering selling it.
Have you sold your FW yet?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 AM

I got one about 3 years ago. It's older than I am! I take it to classes & to quilt guild when we do projects. It has all the attachments too.

Cathy S/Willowwind
Old 09-07-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Originally Posted by Para722
A gentleman in my sewing class just gave me one. How lucky am I? It came in a wooden carrying case that has to be opened with a special screwdriver. He said it was made in 1926 and last year he had it all cleaned and rewired. I was so touched that he wanted me to have it.
Are you sure it's a featherweight? I have been understanding that the first one's were made in 1935.

Mine is a 1938 model, in pristine condition. She has all her accessories, original manual and has obviously been very well cared for all her life. I got her more as a collectible as I prefer to sew on all my bells and whistles machine.
I read that the first ones where made in 1933????
Old 09-07-2011, 08:40 PM

Yes, the first Featherweight machines were made in 1933 and shown at the World's Fair for the first time. They were improved in 1936, from what I read. So having one made in 1938, I'd say that you have one of the oldest ones. Mine was made in 1939, and has been gently used. They were made until 1963or 1964, according to what I've read.
Did you know that Isac Singer made his first sewing machine to win a bet? He was helping repair sewing machines and said that he could make a better one. He did and won the bet in 11 days!
The things one can find on the net to read.... :) :)

I'll bet that the sewing machine made in 1926 mentioned above is a Singer 99. Does it have a hole in front of the case where a knee bar goes in to run the machine? I also think that it has a bentwood case to it, rounded at the top like an upside down u. If it is a Singer 99, it will just go forward, not in reverse like the Featherweight. The Singer 99 is a larger version of the Singer 66, and is 3/4 size. Without the case, it weighs about 22 pounds, and the Featherweight weighs only 12. It is a great machine too! You can look up the serial number on it to see what it is and when it was made. I hope this helps.
Ya, I've got a Singer 99-13 too, with the knee bar. It was made in 1928 and is in perfect condition. I don't think it was used very much. The Singer 99 was the first 'portable' Singer sewing machine made.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:48 AM

I have a singer FW 221, 1934, she sews great but looks her age, LOL I also have a 1957 singer FW 222 in mint condition,
a singer FW 1955 for my birth yr, shes in great condition also, 5 mint Green FWs, alot of people call them white, but they are mint Green, one is mine the other 4 are for my GD, and my 3 G-nieces, and I have a singer 15 1950 a beauty.