Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
metallic thread >

metallic thread

metallic thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:38 PM

i use a top stitch needle and have never had a problem
Old 09-07-2011, 04:38 PM

When I thread paint, if having trouble with the metalic thread I try these things first. (larger eyed or a metalic needle,change in tension, slower even speed) If still won't work I tape a safety pin upright onto the right side of machine, place the thread in a glass or pint jar etc, and then thread the metalic thread through the safety pin and rest of machine as usual. Not sure why it works, maybe takes some of the twist out before it gets to the needle? Good luck.
Laurie
Old 09-07-2011, 04:41 PM

I remember having that problem. Someone told me to put a very, very small drop of lubricant and drag it across the spool. It seems that I bought something especially for that and it worked wonderfully. I never had a problem with thread breaking after that.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:55 PM

thanks to everyone :) I viewed the video on Superior Threads website and everything worked perfectly. I do think I will look for some Bottom Line thread to try in my bobbin. So nice to not have the thread breaking
Old 09-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by MIJul
I remember having that problem. Someone told me to put a very, very small drop of lubricant and drag it across the spool. It seems that I bought something especially for that and it worked wonderfully. I never had a problem with thread breaking after that.
That was "Sewer's Aide'. Works great.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:49 PM

I use metallics and specialty threads all time and have found you need to experiment. Topstitch needles are a must. Secondly you will need paper clips and tape. Postion the paper clips on the top of your machine and use them as thread guides in conjunction with the guides on the machine. Some threads like to be up above the guides on your machine thru the paper clips before going thru the machine guides. I have clips postioned for up threading and down threading.It will take some experimenting as different threads will want to be threaded differently. You may also want to try adjusting your bobbin tension as well.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:58 PM

http://www.superiorthreads.com/video...eads-part-one/
This is a link to a short tutorial from Superior Threads I posted a while ago. This will really help you understand metallic threads. Well it helped me so IMHO I think it will be helpful for you too.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by JanetM
Try using a metallica needle, or a 90/14 topstitch needle. They have a larger eye so they don't cause as much friction on the thread.

Also have the spool standing upright, lower your upper thread tension slightly, and try bypassing the last thread guide just above the needle.

Start with the needle change, and placing the thread in a upright position, and do a test. If the thread is still breaking try the tension fix and thread guide bypass.

Also, always reduce your speed when stitching with specialty threads.
I also DO NOT use the regular spool holder on my machine but instead place the thread in a container at the back of my machine. This longer lead time helps straighten out the thread and decrease tension on the thread.

ali
Old 09-07-2011, 06:28 PM

Use a thread holder about 3 FEET from the machine, I find it helps to let the metallic unwind and its less likely to break, also you can use needles made for the thread
Old 09-08-2011, 02:16 AM

A metallic needle may help, and slowing down your machine too.