Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of notions are your go-to items? >

What type of notions are your go-to items?

What type of notions are your go-to items?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:01 AM

I would love to find one of the Fiskars rotary cutting rulers that Eleanor Burns uses, until I get my hands on one of those, my June Tailor Strip cutter thing, templates, rotary cutters, cutting mat are on the cutting table. When I sit down to sew; a comfortable chair at the right height is vital, sewing machine that's functioning well, pins, threadcatcher/pincushion, Clover awl and seam ripper. One of the most important things for me is to have an iron and a small ironing mat on a small table to my right while I'm sewing so all I have to do is swivel my chair and press the seams, I also have a small rotating cutting mat and a rotary cutter beside the ironing pad. I also use a Clover double-ended needle threader a lot. Forgot one of the most used items, I use Gingher snips constantly when I sew, I have a pair at the machine and another in my sewing box for when I'm embroidering.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:19 AM

I love, love, love my pin cushion with the velcro strap that fastens around my wrist.
Also, stiletto, small curved scissors, and Clover brown seam ripper.
Roller tape to pick up tiny loose threads. But, the wrist pin cushion with the velcro cloth strap is my baby.So handy and comfy.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:29 AM

Small Gingher scissors for ripping seams, OmniGrid ruler, my dry iron from Vermont Country Store, Guterman's thread in 1000 yd spools (thank goodness!), a little wood pressing tool for flattening small seams, culd not do without my 30" x 36" cutting grid which now sadly needs replacing, rotary cutter (yay Harbor Freight!), marking pens in various colors.

Whats needed are lower prices! Rotary cutting blades cost the earth if you can't get them from Harbor Freight, ditto for OmniGrids and cutting mats. I am guessing that the market is small so the manufacturers have to price high, but for quilters just starting out, its a really expensive hobby. Also things like charm packs and jelly rolls - yes its great to have precut strips but really - $30+ for a jelly roll? Fabric by the yard is certainly cheaper also even fabric is getting pricey.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:35 AM

I have most things mentioned but really I couldn't sew without my bendy bright light (best $50 investment ever!) and my 1/4 inch foot. And if sewing curves on drunkards patch, 1/4 inch double sided tape that washes out is really useful. I probably wouldn't have tried curves without learning that technique.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:37 AM

I really do like the tool for a "perfect binding miter" and

also Fons & Porter's binding tool. This gives such a nice flat joining of the binding ends, that one wouldn't know where it begins and where it ends.

andddddddddd, with arthritis knees and the dropping of pins, the magnetic extension "picker-upper" is a must !!!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:43 AM

Pin cushions in every room.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:46 AM

Machinger gloves,teflon slider,Ott lite,and all the info from this board.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:53 AM

I'm not understanding how you use the tape in a way that would limit the number of rulers you need. Am I the only one who hasn't the imagination to understand? Duh!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:54 AM

I have something to add. How about reading classes? I have to have at least two pairs, one for regular sewing and one for close up. :D

Johanna
Old 09-08-2011, 04:54 AM

I'm not understanding how you use the tape in a way that would limit the number of rulers you need. Am I the only one who hasn't the imagination to understand? Duh!