Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilt Retreats and Fibromyalgia >

Quilt Retreats and Fibromyalgia

Quilt Retreats and Fibromyalgia

Old 09-08-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by glowworm
I know how you feel. Do you have prescription pain pills? If not maybe you could get some for the trip?
Yes, I have Rx meds. I keep liquid Vicodin as a standby for when the pain gets really bad. Try not to use it unless I really have to. The liquid gets into the system faster.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:57 AM

Sorry for your pain but sounds like you've found support from our dear friends on QB. Hope you go and have a good time.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:35 AM

I have fibro and road trips longer than 3 hrs are torture-let alone trying to learn and sew.I can't help you I would not even attempt a trip like that.I need to nap a lot,etc
Old 09-08-2011, 10:38 AM

I have gone to quilt retreats. When ever I go for long trips I try to make sure have pillows to support my arms during the travel. |This helps me a lot.

Then I take my pillow, don't sit for to long at a time. Make sure that my set up is such that I am not stretching my arms to far.

I try to go to bed early and get lots of sleep.

Our retreats are only 40 miles away and we have real beds to sleep in. I usually up my ampitpline (can't spell) at night so I sleep better.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:52 AM

I just go and try to follow my own mantra "walk it off".
My friends are great and help with the toting and hauling.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
I sometimes have to go to a event for a couple of days and I am constantly busy while there. I pace myself leading up to the event. If I have to drive, I allow time to stop and walk around. I take my own pillows (a bunch of small ones) to prop various parts of me up and I increase my pain meds just a little. I have a pillow I use while I'm "busy" and I make sure to get up and walk around every little bit and do a little stretching especially doing repetitive work. I make it thru and when I get home, I crash for a day or 2. I can't stop the pain while I'm at the event and always pray that I'm not in a major flareup. But these little "preparations" help me thru and I can enjoy the event while I'm there. My doctor gave me little exercises to do if I have to sit, stand or drive too long. And don't be shy if you have to stop and rest...otherwise it wouldn't be known as a retreat!
I do all this and me Dr. gives me some ambien to take when I am going to be somewhere that I might not be able to get as good of rest as normal(don't take otherwise).
Getting up and moving helps and give me a change to see what everyone else is working on. If I need to I just say"nap time" and take time to stretch out for a while.
Hope you have a great time. l am going to one next weekend and am really looking forward to it!!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:19 PM

[quote=vickig626]Just wondering if anyone who has Fibro has gone on a quilt retreat. Specifically, how did you handle your pain while trying to sew, etc. for 2+ days. Were you actually able to enjoy the weekend?

I know this might sound like a strange question but I'm thinking about going to the MI Lake Huron Retreat but not sure if I can handle those "camp" beds, sewing, quilting, etc. for 2-1/2 days plus the drive there and back.

Fibro sucks !! :thumbdown:
I would say bring your pain pills and Ibprofen and enjoy yourself to the fullest and tell yourself you rule this body not the fibro, That's how I keep going. so good luck and god bless, maybe he will give you a little releif. Keep your head up honey.
K
Old 09-08-2011, 02:21 PM

oh yeah the Ambien,good reminder, I forgot.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:16 PM

Be careful with the magnesium, sometimes it works like it does in "milk of Magnesium" bet you can guess how I know this. If it does, try it every other night or only one 400mg tab at a time.....dee
Old 09-08-2011, 04:06 PM

We are so lucky that we have Acess to a wonderful massage therapist ( for a resonable price). Makes life easier to handle.