Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a friend asked me and I don't know the answer >

a friend asked me and I don't know the answer

a friend asked me and I don't know the answer

Old 09-09-2011, 04:29 AM

I had a friend ask me the other day if it is possible to fuse cute socks onto a quilt block? Or if you would use stabilizer or both? I was unsure so I thought I would ask you all. She wants to put her childs socks into a quilt.. thanks :)
Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

you could- use a light weight fusable that does not need too hot of heat (don't want to melt the socks)
a lightweight interfacing might help keep them from stretching out of shape for sewing.
were you going to use the socks whole? or cut them in half=so only one layer?
if using them whole---two layers----i wouldn't use an interfacing too===just a fusable- use a needle for knits- and a larger stitch length than what you normally use- go slow to keep from stretching them as you sew.
if using one layer then an interfacing could be used- you could get a fusable interfacing- stitch it all the way around the sock (fusable side to right side of sock) then cut a small slit in interfacing so you can turn it right side out- and fuse down- then stitch to background.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:38 AM

Thanks, I will pass the info along. Most appreciated :)
Old 09-09-2011, 04:41 AM

you could easily incorporate the socks into a quilt in several ways, you could applique the whole sock down by hand or machine, you could cut the sock in half(right side/left side) and back it with fusible web then applique or you could do the same but use iron on stabilizer then incorporate by appliqueing it onto a block or just like fabric using a 1/4 inch seam allowance & paper piece it. I've used socks and pockets from jeans to make little pockets to tuck things into on quilts by just sewing down the back of the sock top & leaving the front open.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:21 AM

Cute idea
Old 09-10-2011, 01:03 PM

I use a long arm quilting DVD called 'the pajama quilter'. She actually sews beanie babies and small stuffed animals on her kid/baby quilts. No reason that socks could not be done the same way. She does it after the quilt has been quilted...I guess you could call it embellishment!