Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilt Retreats and Fibromyalgia >

Quilt Retreats and Fibromyalgia

Quilt Retreats and Fibromyalgia

Old 09-08-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by vickig626
Originally Posted by BrendaY
If I was in my 50's, I would go... bringing all my comforts with me. But I'm in my 60's now, and absolutely would not... I'm much happier and more comfortable at home where I can rest, work, rest in 15 minute intervals....... but that's just me.. Maybe you should try it once, so you'll know next time a retreat comes up..
That's kinda where I'm at .... do a little, rest a while, do a little, rest for hours. I'm almost 60 and have had Fibro for at least 13 years. The arthritis doesn't help either.
My heart is with you!!! Our state retreat is coming up in Oct. and I am not planning to go. Many of my guild members are trying to talk me into going. I have not told them I have the Fibro condition as well as Lupus... I struggle telling anyone because I try hard to keep up and allow my sewing to give me relaxation and distraction from the pain and fatigue.... I know the fun I will be missing but I also know the pain and tiredness I would experience...after returning..My DH and I are going The DesMoines show at the end of Sept. We take this trip to meet our son and DIL.... she is a quilter too!! It gives us a 2fold opportunity to see each oter and the guys go off for the day together, and she and I get to do our bonding thing with the quilt show!!! ( ps, I sleep all the way home!)
Old 09-08-2011, 04:53 PM

that is so nice of you to offer to take someone plus a friend to hang with also. hope you both have a wonderful time you both deserve it. i know the pain issue i can't take them when i have to somewhere especially when i drive and i can't take the heavy duty drugs. have fun. sue
Old 09-08-2011, 05:07 PM

I have 2 friends that have tried acupuncture treatments for their fibromyalgia and are very pleased with the relief. I have MS and I go for treatments for the crushing fatigue that happens sometimes and I am very happy with the results!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 PM

From someone who deals with fibro, too, I say just go for it! Do what you need to do, stretch, walk, sit, stand, lie down. But I think the whole retreat atmosphere is worth a little get-away from the routine. And you might be having so much fun you won't notice you're hurting!?!??
Old 09-08-2011, 07:54 PM

I have fibro and attend retreats. Get up and walk around, take a nap if you need to, sometimes concentration is a big issue for me, so I take someting simple to work on. Then when I get home, I usually sleep for the best part of 2 days. Bit I still think it is worth it!!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:29 AM

I have Fibro too and Osteo. I probably couldn't handle all that. I sew but not very long at a time. When it is cold out it is even less. The company would be great. Have a good day! Lura
Old 09-09-2011, 06:53 AM

I'm with you. FM does Suck!! But I do sew several days on end. I take breaks often and of course my meds when needed. So Go and have a good time. Even when there is pain the beauty you see being created around you helps to relieve the pain in many ways.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:54 AM

Yes it does sweetheart. Noone understands that we never know what we can do until that day. And then, sometimes there can be changes during the day. I hope you get to go and please let me know how you did. I also have arthritis and lymphodema in both legs so I probably wouldnt be able to walk after getting there
Old 09-09-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by vickig626
Just wondering if anyone who has Fibro has gone on a quilt retreat. Specifically, how did you handle your pain while trying to sew, etc. for 2+ days. Were you actually able to enjoy the weekend?

I know this might sound like a strange question but I'm thinking about going to the MI Lake Huron Retreat but not sure if I can handle those "camp" beds, sewing, quilting, etc. for 2-1/2 days plus the drive there and back.

Fibro sucks !! :thumbdown:
GO!!!! Fibro really sucks!!! Stop if you have to, in a safe place. Just do what you can and rest when you need too. It's better to do something then not do anything because of it. That's what I do, and I feel better for trying. It's holding up my "kiddie" quilts, but not stopping them!!! Go have fun!!!
Thanks for any input.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:20 AM

Thank you for asking this question. It is very timely for me also, just now. I am struggling with the decision of whether to sign up for a retreat.
I know that after it's over I will lose at least 2 days, but I think it will be worth it.
For myself, I know that the fibro and all it's "friends" cause me to lean towards being a bit hermitish, and I tend to withdraw into myself and my home. My DH is all for me going as he knows it is best for me to be out and socialize.
I have many skills for coping with the pain, lots of meds to take, etc., however, I don't like being in pain in public. LOL, Silly I know, but the attention makes me uncomfortable. I want people to just ignore me. LOL
How many times have we all had this conversation?
"Are you ok? Yes, thanks, I'm fine. You don't look fine (so good;OK, etc.) No, I'm fine, really, it's just the fibro. Can I do anything to help? Aw, thanks so much, but really, I'm fine!"