Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias versus straight grain binding? >

Bias versus straight grain binding?

Bias versus straight grain binding?

Old 09-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

I prefer straight myself!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:22 PM

I always use bias (make my own)on any size quilt I make - from lap robe to King. The last 2 years I have entered a quilt in a County Fair style gathering and received 1st place last year and 2nd place this year. The judge commented both times on my binding - bias and I got points for that and joining the ends on the diagonal. I like the stretch to it and pull just a little when sewing to the quilt. I think this eases the slight wave in the quilt. They always come out very flat - no waves.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:27 PM
tmg

I use bias. It is what I was told to use.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:10 PM

I use straight of grain, have never had a problem.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:14 PM

I also use both types of binding. Right now I am doing a Grandma's Flower Garden (doubleknit) and I am using bias binding.

As far as fraying on the fold...both straight and bias will probably wear the same on the fold.

I don't press a fold into my binding, straight or bias. I match up the raw edges, stitch that down to the quilt, then turn the binding as I stitch, adjusting the biding as I go...works great & no fold line to hint that I didn't get the binding on oh so straight..looks perfect because of the no fold line also.

Originally Posted by spindreams
This morning I read Marytoddliz' question on this forum about bias tape makers. Many people replied that they bind their quilts with straight grain binding. That got me wondering.

I have read or heard that bias binding wears longer, and that straight grain binding frays at the fold quickly. So I use bias most of the time, except for wall hangings that will get no wear. For baby quilts I always make 100% cotton bias binding, because usually they get washed so much.

Has anyone else heard about, or had experience with differences in wear in bias versus straight binding? Straight is soooo much easier.

Jane
Old 09-09-2011, 05:15 AM

I have used straight of grain binding for 40 years. The binding is folded in half so it is strong and I have never had any binding fray. The only advantage to bias binding is on a quilt with curves, all my quilts have square corners.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:24 AM

I don't mind making the bias binding and use bias when it is a stripe, check, or plaid and the bias adds extra interest. Also agree with the wears better but just don't worry about it. :)
Old 09-09-2011, 05:51 AM

I use straight grain, double fold binding except use bias when I have curves on the edge.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:52 AM

You can try the Ta-Da bias binding it makes it easier to make.
It's a pre-printed fusible interfacing that you press on then cut on the lines.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew
I was just reading Harriet Hargreaves book on machine quilting, and she say that in no uncertain terms bias binding is the best looking and she simply won't do anything else. However, I think she shows her own BIAS in that remark LOL

I have not read anything generally about bias binding wearing better, only its usefulness on curves.

However, I have read that setting the joins of the binding on the bias, not just joining the pieces end to end, is a more sturdy construction.
Bully for Harriet. I only use bias binding if I need to bind curves, or the binding is striped. I think the stripes look cool on the diagonal. Joining the strips with a 45 degree seam eliminates the bulk on the quilt, also pressing the seam open helps.