Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias versus straight grain binding? >

Bias versus straight grain binding?

Bias versus straight grain binding?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by BarbP
I use straight grain, double fold binding except use bias when I have curves on the edge.
I also use double fold binding and bias when needed. Both are easy to make and use if one follows the same steps every time. There is no hard and fast rule that MUST be followed, use what you feel the most comfortable with.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:03 AM

I have only done straight binding, but I want to get brave and do a scalloped border as seen in one of the MSQC tutes and for that I will do bias.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Bias binding does wear better. It's actually as easy to work with as straight-grain ***IF*** you starch the fabric heavily before cutting into strips. I use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" it on the fabric with a large wall-painting brush until the fabric is saturated, toss in the dryer, then iron with steam. Heavy starch stabilizes the fabric so much that the bias becomes easy to work with. (Doesn't mean you can mishandle it; just that it comes our requiring only about the same amount of care as a straight-grain binding does.)

If you starch the fabric so much what about when you are done putting the binding on, that starch is still in the binding. How do you deal with it?

I do like bias bindings on baby quilts for the reason cited -- all the extra machine washings they get.

Edit: Heavy starching might not work well for curved edges (because it becomes more difficult to stretch the edges). I have only ever used heavily starched bias on straight edges.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:50 AM

I use straight grain binding. Don't see that it wears any differently.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:19 AM

I you use bias binding do you also fold it in half?

Have only done strait binding so far as I had the impression that it keeps the quilt better in square shape.
Granny
Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

I think it's more a matter of personal preference, but as many have noted, it is more important on curved edges on a quilt. I actually have bias tape tools, but haven't used them yet. They would probably make the making of the bias binding a lot easier, but I do use bias when joining straight binding, as it is less bulky. I too was told that bias binding tends to wear better, but I can't say for sure, guess I'll have to see my son's quilt that I made him when he was about 12 and he's 36 now, as that quilt has been washed a lot over the years - gone to the beach, etc.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:55 AM

I always use bias binding. I think it is stronger and edges won't fray.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Good subject. I am ready to put the binding on my quilt. Still dont know which way to go but interesting answers.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:31 AM

I'm new to sewing quilts. I make the bias strips because that's the way I was taught. My issue is figuring out which way the bias runs, lol!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:24 PM

I think that the following article gives a even handed view of the benefits of various types bias and straight of grain bindings.

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...t-binding.html

I've seen references in this message thread, and the one the other day, about using a Clover bias tape maker to make a quilt's binding. I would ONLY use that if I did not have enough fabric to make a double fold French binding and I was unable to purchase more fabric for it. The reason is that the bias tape made with that tool will have a single layer of fabric on the quilt's edge, while a double fold French binding has two.