Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
An act of kindness that touches my heart >

An act of kindness that touches my heart

An act of kindness that touches my heart

Old 09-09-2011, 07:56 AM

Such a cute hat. You have a great attitude while going through chemo. Warm wishes for your recovery. (((hugs)))
Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Very nice. The hat looks great on you. Best wishes for your treatment.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tropical
What a Wonderful thing Maggie did for you. You were brave to cut off all of your hair. You are beautiful in your new hat. As I am sure you are beautiful out of it, as well. My prayers are with you through your time with Chemo.

We got wonderful news today from the oncologist. My DH's stage four renal cell cancer that spread to his lungs has once again, shown no growth so he does not have to go back on chemo yet. The doctor reminded us that there is no cure so it is terminal. We are rejoicing in God's Blessing and will include you in our prayers. :)
I know what you mean Tropical my non Hodgkins lymphoma has no cure .... this is my third bout with chemo since Dec. 2007........ I'll say prayers for your DH .... and thanks for the well wishes .hugs to you both :o)
Old 09-09-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by ashgrover
Thanks you everyone for the kind words but I am a survivor and know what she is going through and how much I appreciated all the wonderful support I recieved.
Right now my DH is under watch for his cancer but they don't recommend treating it until it gets to a certain stage as there is no cure for the two kinds he has but they are very slow growing.
I started this hat pattern by making my two great great daughters these hats. We go to The Cancer Centers of America in Tulsa, OK and I always make fleece throws to take to give to paitents who are staying there recieving treatment. They have some free donated turbins there but after seeing what they had last time decided that this hat pattern would be great and help cheer someone up. I have made it in three sizes but as pattern dose run small I used the large, x large and xx large pattern sizes. It is a great way to use up our scraps and fat quarters as as you can see it doesn't have to be made in one fabric and the lining is different to. The hat pattern I used is Izzy & Ivy Designs pattern called Jack and Jill. I bought it at my local quilt shop but they do have a web site. The pattern has sizes from Teeny Tiny to xx large so you get all sizes. I also made head bands that are extra wide from double knit cotton ribbing to wear under any hat. They help hide your hair line.
Sewers and quilter are such great people and if you will check at your local hospitals with their onicology dept they accept donations of hat's, turbins and throws. When I was going through treatment I found it ment so much to think that strangers cared and did such kind things so I challange you to make some hats,tubins or throws and donate to your cancer treatment dept at your hospital. There was a neat shoulder wrap in the McCallsQuilting March April 2011 issue it has pockets and I changed it to use fleece and make a very quick and warm one. The one shown is made with quilt blocks and would be great way to use practice blocks.
Nancy's Notion's web site has a free download turbin pattern and Kwik Sew #3481 has a great pattern with three hats and a banded hear scarf. Nancy's Notions used to carry that pattern but not sure if still dose.
Loralie had the one fabric called on the Mend with the ladies on it. It is no longer made but she has another that is almost the same but different shades of color. If any one wants to know a few tips on the hat pattern I changed from the directions to make it easier to make or how to make the head bands let me know.
Here are my latest bunch of hats with head bands pinned inside that will go with us to Tulsa later this month. I wish I could say that there are less women needing them but their aren't. Also a sweatjacket I made for a friend and a tote. The totes are great to take to treatment, for magazine, bottle of water etc. They don't have to be from fabric like I used they will use and treasure anything you make.
you are an Angel Maggie...sent straight from God
Old 09-09-2011, 09:15 AM

That hat is adorable... wear it proudly... I will be thinking of you with many {{{ hugs }}} ... have been there... no chemo but radiation... it is all a scary ride... take care and let everyone know how you are doing... {{{{ hugs again }}}}
Old 09-09-2011, 09:21 AM

(((HUGS))) coming your way! Hang in there!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:28 AM

Hugs and prayers going out and up to and for you. Love the hat and am sure your head is a shining like a star,
Old 09-09-2011, 10:40 AM

Love to you everyday of your life and especially now. I am a ten year survivor of breast cancer and still quilting away. Best of luck.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:12 AM

When the wife of a co-work started chemo we had a "Hat Party". Everyone brought a hat for her to wear during Chemo. When her chemo treatments were done she donated the hats. When she shaved her head so did her husband. What love!.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:28 PM

The hat is cute and was so kind. Know that you are in my prayers. I hope the chemo does it's thing and that you are healthy again very soon.