Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My treadle conversion >

My treadle conversion

My treadle conversion

Old 09-08-2011, 05:28 PM

very nice and handy too
Old 09-09-2011, 12:26 PM

Wow I'd like to do a conversion to my spare Bernina 930, that would be awesome to have it be treadle powered.
Sharon W.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Wow I'd like to do a conversion to my spare Bernina 930, that would be awesome to have it be treadle powered.
Sharon W.
That would be one of the ultimate conversion machines. If I had one I would do it, in a minute. I have all the parts for conversion ready if I find one and can get it. I am always looking.
John
Old 09-09-2011, 03:54 PM

Beautiful.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:20 PM

that is soo cool. I never knew that could be done to a modern machine. I could just see me sitting out on a screened in summer porch sewing and quilting the days away!!!! :mrgreen:
Old 09-10-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
A while ago I posted about Singer 401G and 411G. I have not modified the machines to accept a leather belt. I'm wondering if you know anything about putting them on a treadle. The sewing machine shop guy wants to modify the balance wheel - he says it needs a heavy old one - they don't just fit on.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1202.htm#3520792
and
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-6.htm

I have a Bernina that may be a good candidate for a treadle. It is a 530 with a broken cord acceptor part.
What did you do to adapt?
The only experience I have had is the Bernina line of machines. The hand wheels that I get are made to fit the shaft on Berninas. I don't know about whether they will fit other machines. I would doubt it. but, if you want to convert the Bernina, you could probably do it. The hand wheels are from the Lancaster PA. area and the Amish community thereabouts. They also make the Treadle Mechanisms.
John
Old 09-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
A while ago I posted about Singer 401G and 411G. I have not modified the machines to accept a leather belt. I'm wondering if you know anything about putting them on a treadle. The sewing machine shop guy wants to modify the balance wheel - he says it needs a heavy old one - they don't just fit on.

and

I have a Bernina that may be a good candidate for a treadle. It is a 530 with a broken cord acceptor part.
The only experience I have had is the Bernina line of machines. The hand wheels that I get are made to fit the shaft on Berninas. I don't know about whether they will fit other machines. I would doubt it. but, if you want to convert the Bernina, you could probably do it. The hand wheels are from the Lancaster PA. area and the Amish community thereabouts. They also make the Treadle Mechanisms.
John
How would you ever contact them?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:42 PM

and

The Singer 401G and 411G, both need to have the correct hand wheel in order to treadle successfully. The electric machine doesn't have the belt groove in the hand wheel. If I recall correctly they also don't have a motor.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend

and

The Singer 401G and 411G, both need to have the correct hand wheel in order to treadle successfully. The electric machine doesn't have the belt groove in the hand wheel. If I recall correctly they also don't have a motor.
Bob Arbuckle, our repair guy in Noblesville, Indiana, says to change out the hand wheel. The hand wheel on my 401G and the treadle hand wheels I've seen do not interchange. The hand wheel on the German 401 and 411g is a big larger than the American. There is room to do the groove thing. I got a belt to go through the channels but it shreds as it turns. The belt slips and slides pretty bad too. I am wondering about the hand wheel being HEAVY enough to treadle easily. Some people call them a balance wheel. I'm thinking it is because they were heavy and did something to make the machine move better. I've seen some filed out on a lathe and a hole in the machine enlarged - I'm holding out for more information. It would work with the motor still in but I'm thinking it would be more drag - frankly I don't really care if the motor is missing. If I want electric I have that on a different machine.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:03 AM

If I want electric I have that on a different machine.[/quote]
When I did my conversion, I talked to the owner of the Bernina Dealership that provided the parts, and he said they made the Brass, and now steel hand wheels, because there needs to be a bit of momentum to sustain the continuation of the power just like a flywheel in a car. But, if they are leaving the motor and electrics in place, they take off the internal drive belt from the motor to the shaft, as it adds drag and is not necessary. If you want to switch from electric to treadle, then you could just release the tension on the drive belt motor so as that it does not add drag when using it as a treadle. As to slippage. If you are doing a restoration of the Singer, and just want to leave it for display, then using the leather belt is fine. If you expect to use it for real sewing, then get a modern Poly belt and never have to worry about slippage or adjustment again. I have had my modern belt on the treadle conversion and have never adjusted it for stretch for 3 years of heavy, and I do mean "Heavy sewing. I have sewn for 8 hrs a day on some projects, and done some seriously horrible sewing through some things that resemble plywood, in their thickness. and it has never slipped a bit.That machine is really the only machine I use for sewing. I love it so much and it suits my style of sewing. I have sold off A Bernina 430 modern machine, A janome 1600, Professional, and I gave a friend a regular Janome (I don't remember the number) because it did automatic button holes and the gal I gave it to didn't have one and was complaining about the button holes she got from her machine. I sew Clothes, Quilts, Craft stuff, Curtains, You name it. This treadle does it all. Albeit A bit more slowly. I have thought about purchasing a Commercial heavy duty machine for those projects that are heavy duty sewing, but this machine does them without any problem. I have adjusted the timing one time, but it was still within the range of acceptable, but I had been abusing it and felt guilty and wanted it to be back to normal if it could be. A great project that has proven to be one of the best things I have ever done to a sewing machine.
John

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-26-2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps