Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Is This Machine??? >

What Is This Machine???

What Is This Machine???

Old 09-10-2011, 04:48 AM

It looks just like my Bernina 4 thread serger. It's a treasure!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:12 AM

I do not believe it is an embroidery machine, I think it is an older serger.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:13 AM

Looks like a serger to me too.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:15 AM

I think it is an older model possibly 20 yrs. old 4 thread serger with the thread holder missing. You can buy a thread holder off ebay or possibly find some gadgets to make a thread holder. The sergers with the thread adjusting knobs work great, I think. If it has several places with small eyes to thread, three routes with bent hooks for each plus the needle, under the flap that opens on the front where the knife is located , it most likely is a serger. Kinda hard to thread in the right places to work properly, but once done,
take different colored permanent markers and mark the thread routes for the different spools. missbelle
Old 09-10-2011, 05:15 AM

I do not have this item locally. I subscribe to auctionzip.com and go to auctions in various towns/states and found this at a GA one (Douglas) that will be held on Sept. 17th next Saturday.

Here is the link to the photo's of what they will have and there are a couple of Berndina Sewing machines along with this item.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/ph...zip=31313&kwd=

You will have to scroll down some to see it along with the sewing machines, buttons, and such.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:30 AM

Great site - thanks for the info! There's a Bernina 1130 there - the first Bernina electronic machine ca 1988. The guy who services my 1130 tries to get me to sell it to him and says it's a much sought after machine in the used machine marketplace. I'm not selling it!
Old 09-10-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz
The more I look at this thing I'm thinking it's an embroidery machine because of the flat base going to the back of it. The machine is set sideways where we see only the dies but that flat base looks very much like what you would find on an embroidery machine if you turned it facing us and the dials be on the side.

Suppose it could still be some type of serger but have never seen a serger that has that flat base like that.
Its a serger, that's how the older ones look. No way now how is it an embroidery machine. The dials you see are for adjusting the tension of each thread.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:38 AM

Its definately a serger. The flat place in the back is for the 4 spools of thread to sit on. I use my serger almost everytime I sew anything. When I make my Linus quilts I start with a pillowcase like structure that includes the back, front and batting. I serge the three sides together and then turn it and quilt it on the right side.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:53 AM

It is a serger, one of the first to hit the home market. Lots of changes since this one has made its entry....
Old 09-10-2011, 05:59 AM

I agree with everyone else. Definitely looks like a serger.

By the way, did you know you have a twin in Washington state. You look exactly like a women in our guild.