Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I'm Going to Wash that Gray right Out of My Hair! -Maybe... >

I'm Going to Wash that Gray right Out of My Hair! -Maybe...

I'm Going to Wash that Gray right Out of My Hair! -Maybe...

Old 09-10-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Joyce DeBacco
I don't bother with coloring my hair anymore. I'm not young, my skin looks like a deflated balloon, and I'm not kidding anyone into thinking I'm younger than I am. So be it.
Joyce: That is so refreshing to hear
Old 09-10-2011, 06:45 AM

We are heading toward Halloween! Use some dish detergent, might help tone it down. I quit dying a couple of years ago, I earned my gray! Both my daughters have been dying since they saw the first strand!

Happy Halloween!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Normacharlie
We are heading toward Halloween! Use some dish detergent, might help tone it down. I quit dying a couple of years ago, I earned my gray! Both my daughters have been dying since they saw the first strand!

Happy Halloween!
norma.. I have used that once and it does help a bit.. you are right..
I think I am with your daughters but I let it go all summer.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Zoe

Your adventures with hair color have made my day! It brought back memories of my younger days when friends and I would try hair rinses and dyes only to discover that the color of one's hair never really matched the color shown on the package.

My funny story is that I had applied a red hair rinse to my dark blonde hair thinking it looked good. Well, it did until I went swimming with my boyfriend. I dove into the swimming pool and when surfacing, my boyfriend and others started screaming that I was bleeding from my head. Yep, I forgot all about the red rinse which was promptly streaming down my face and body and out of my hair. I will never forget the howls of laughter from all of them as I trudged into the changing room vowing never to use red rinses ever again. I laughed too when they all said I reminded them of Lucy Ricardo from the "I Love Lucy" television show. :lol:
Old 09-10-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Zoe
Your adventures with hair color have made my day! It brought back memories of my younger days when friends and I would try hair rinses and dyes only to discover that the color of one's hair never really matched the color shown on the package.

My funny story is that I had applied a red hair rinse to my dark blonde hair thinking it looked good. Well, it did until I went swimming with my boyfriend. I dove into the swimming pool and when surfacing, my boyfriend and others started screaming that I was bleeding from my head. Yep, I forgot all about the red rinse which was promptly streaming down my face and body and out of my hair. I will never forget the howls of laughter from all of them as I trudged into the changing room vowing never to use red rinses ever again. I laughed too when they all said I reminded them of Lucy Ricardo from the "I Love Lucy" television show. :lol:

That was so funny.. I remember those rinses.. 29 cents a box???
Old 09-10-2011, 07:31 AM

I don't do it myself and I don't have hairdressers that have weird colored hair. I don't think we have the same idea of what is pretty.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

My mom (85 years young still has salt and pepper - hers was very dark brown in her young days) and my sister with redish brown hair/salt and pepper bought some red henna rinse and did their hair together this summer. Dad and I are both natural born red heads. His hair turned gray when he was in his thirties & is now real pretty white. Mine mostly looks somewhere between red and blonde now - kind of salt and peppered. Any way back to my story, Mom and DS got their hair all done up and called me to come over and bring some Chrystal Lite. ok. I did. When she opened the door, I tried REAL hard not to laugh... OOPS... There was my sister with the orangest looking hair and my mom behind her with very orange hair. They wanted the Chrystal Lite to do something to the mess... It didn't. So my Dad comes home... He looked at them and disappeared into his library... (coward) Later he came out and kissed my mom and told her she looked like she was too young to be his wife everybody would think he was robbing the cradle. We offered him some henna so he could match her and he graciously declined. So I made a crack to Dad about having to live with red hair all my life and they can't stand it for a half hour. Then Dad chimes in with some more teasing... what ever - we all had a good laugh. Mom's hair has grown back out a bit and she had it trimmed. She called up on Monday (Labor Day)at 4:00 wanting me to help her find more henna rinse. ??? Here I thought she was hating it. We got the rinse, then figured out I helped her get the wrong color. Oh well, Mom is game - that box said light red... She just called while I'm sitting here and wanted to know if I wanted to come over and do mine. ??? Is she nuts? It's fading true and half gray, I can deal with that. I just can't deal with not knowing what color it would turn out if I put something on it. After reading your all's comments I have a different take on all the people who dye their hair red. Here I thought they did it on purpose. I thought they all WANTED red hair. Now I find out NOBODY wants red hair. Maybe I should just go get some 29 cent peroxide...
Old 09-10-2011, 08:30 AM

Ha Ha, that reminded me of an incident that happened about 40 years ago, my girlfriend who dyed her hair blond frequently, had finally gotten green hair. We were at the drug store, with her head wrapped in a towel trying to find something that would get rid of the green and she turns to me and says "You should dye your hair it's such a mousy color". I told her green was not really my color.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:28 AM

love your story make me laugh
i use peroxide as a teenager
Old 09-10-2011, 10:43 AM

ROTHFLMBO!!!!! Been there - done that!!! My deepest heartfelt sympathies :XD: :XD: :XD: TEEHEE - sorry........ couldn't resist.