Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine >

sewing machine

sewing machine

Old 09-10-2011, 09:03 AM

i love my Kenmore that I found at a pawn shop.
I tried 3 of the new Brothers machine and didn't like them.
Took them back.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by sarahconner
a Brother
for a good and inexpensive STARTER mahine, I have to agree with you on the BROTHER. I have two and love both of them to pieces. Under $250 usually too!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

It amazes me to look at the engineering in the old machines. They were so intricate and yet they have held up over such a long time. Then I looked at my old Singer 403 of the same time frame. It was all metal even the gears. I also have an old Necchi Nora - it has a broken plastic stitch length adjuster - The Bernina and the Elna have nylon gears. I guess the sewing machine companies were fooling around with plastics and nylon back then - The machine works are a wonder though. Each of them is different in how they work. It totally fascinates me. Then I look at an old Japanese straight stitch. No nonsense there. It is so amazing how these are put together!!! You sure don't see much when you look in the new plastic and stamped metal machines - is it any wonder they don't hold up and you can't get anybody to repair them??? Yeah I have a bunch of old machines. Yeah the DILs think I'm a hoarder... well, they are correct. (AND I hoard fabric too - OH, the shame of it all...) I guess I can't bear to see those old machines discarded by the same people that talk about everything being 'green'... Wanna go green? Get a vintage all metal sewing machine and learn to use it - re-make some clothes instead of discarding them. Ok you might have to piece them together or make t shirt quilts or make some quilts out of old clothes or buy fabric at a yard sale - BUT go green!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:41 AM

check out JUKI , I don't have one but many people think they are wonderful work horses and don't cost much compared to others.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:55 AM

I have 3 Janome machines and they are great !!! I haven't services them in a very long time - just clean them once a week to remove lint, etc. and they just hum along great.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:10 AM

In addition to price and reputation, you might also want to consider dealer location/availability.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:25 AM

No matter the name on the machine...I think there are 3 important things. One is that the tension doesn't need a lot of adjustment; two is that the thread doesn't bobble up on the underneath; and three is that it will sew thru about anything.

Test drive the machine. I have noticed that there are some low end machines that you have to keep a lot of pull on the fabric. If you have to keep a lot of pull on the fabric, I would steer clear of that machine. Fabric should feed through the machine with "no hands".

I would go to the top line dealers and see what they have available used first.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:06 AM

I was just at a sewing machine repair store and was told that, although they still sell Singers, the new ones are garbage. Someone buys one and has to bring it in a few months later for repairs.
Seems Singer is no longer the Singer of old. It was bought out and they just use the name. They were good up until then.
quote=butterflies5518]Joann's has a sale on Singers, would make a good start machine[/quote]
Old 09-10-2011, 11:47 AM

I have many sewing machines. Need to get rid of a few. I started with a Kenmore when I first started to sew but then went to a Dressmaker and White. I still have them but now I love the Baby Lock. I have 2 Dressmakers that I'm selling for $125.00 total with shipping. Have fun sewing is a stress breaker when you are up tight.

:)
Old 09-10-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Have you thought about a used Bernina???
Great idea! I often see used ones at my Babylock dealer and, of course, at the Bernina dealer. Bernina also has a mechanical model (1008) which is reasonalby priced and doesn't have a finnicky computer. I will admit that I prefer those older all metal machines of the 50s, 60s & 70s, including the Singer 301, 401 & 500, the Viking 6000 series and the Bernina 830. They are all workhorses and easy to maintain. I, too, would stay away from WalMart.

Good luck in you search and let us know what you decide.

Dorothy in PA