Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed in current sewing project >

Disappointed in current sewing project

Disappointed in current sewing project

Old 09-10-2011, 11:23 AM

Ok, I've read through some of the comments but not all, so sorry if this is a repeat- I'm having a problem with the layout a little bit. For me, it needs a bit more order and symmetry. I see that there are four blocks that have large brown squares- could you use one of each of those in the four corners (and aim them in directions that make sense with each other- all aiming in, or out, or something), then somehow alternate the pink and green blocks throughout the rest of the quilt?

I really like the green in the first picture.

This is going to make a very pretty quilt, but, yes, we all have projects that just aren't doing it for us. Sometimes you just have to take a break and come back later. Oftentimes your subconscious will figure it all out for you and will present as some great idea that you never would have if you'd kept beating your head against the wall. Nice when that happens!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:31 AM

First off...it would be nice to see the border. That could change the whole look.

This is when you need a quilting buddy. I would try different placements. Take a picture of each version. I think it helps to look at pictures. Also will help you to put it back into the order you like.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:51 AM

Hi, I send a (((Hug))) to you. I too rarely like the quilt I'm working on...on the design wall. But wonder of wonders once it's bordered and quilted it takes on a life of its own! I haven't read all the responses...I need to get to the sewing room and get off the computer! :0) But just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in sorry if it's been said before!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:06 PM

I haven't read all your replies, so someone has probably already suggested this, but I like the colors in your quilt. It just needs a frame of one or more of the darker colors. The little color the triangles add in the last picture make a huge difference, though I would not change all the background fabric to that color. I like the contrast. Try laying some darker fabrics around it for borders.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:08 PM

I like the dark, I think it makes it pop. I think it looks great, but keep playing with it, it will come to you...
Old 09-10-2011, 12:10 PM

I enjoy looking at the light much more than the dark... it doesn't distract one's eye from the quilt as much as the darker color. I think it will look good when it's finished with the border you describe. Like I tell friends... "MAKE a good day", instead of HAVE a good day!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:22 PM

The first picture is just fine... Not a thing wrong with it .. Just put a border on it and you will end up liking it ...Just go for it...
Old 09-10-2011, 12:35 PM

I like the second pic with the dark pink in it. i say keep going.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:43 PM

Happens to me, too. I really like your quilt, especially with the darker setting triangles. Do you know someone who would love it? You could finish it and gift it to someone who would really love the colors or pattern or whatever it is that you don't like about the quilt. Consider it one Christmas gift checked off your list.

Welcome from Texas!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:44 PM

Personally I like the light color instead of bright pink--but about project that you think "what was I thinking!"--yes,yes,yes--but amazingly sometimes once the quilting is done they metamorph into something you really like--so put it aside for now and be sure to come back to it!
I have a baby blanket right now that the g-ma and I bought the material together for a "north woods" theme--wow! It just doesn't look good--think the values don't contrast enough?? Anyway, when I send to the new Mom , I'll explain what we were thinking--but blame the fact that we had lunch with alcohol before we went shopping!