Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where were you when...9/11 memories >

Where were you when...9/11 memories

Where were you when...9/11 memories

Old 09-11-2011, 04:32 AM

i was at work in medical billing office. All i could think about was my old friends and co workers at the pentagon. Thank heavens all were ok. A few days later we could not figure why so many clerical mistakes were made. Noticed the date and knew my mind was elsewhere. Bless all that lost or knew of ones lost that horrible day
Old 09-11-2011, 04:36 AM

Watching HGTV when DD called and asked us to double check a story that was going around her office. So we changed stations in time to see the 2nd plane hit. The news coverage reminded me of Pres. Kennedy's assassination. I've had trouble watching non-stop coverage since his death. I get so upset that I just can't function. Still can't watch
Old 09-11-2011, 04:56 AM

I was teaching in our high school classroom when another teacher popped in the room to say the twin towers had been hit. We immediately turned on the classroom TV and started watching. The students needed to see this and experience this tragedy firsthand. So many questions from them - and I had so few answers.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:04 AM

I was at work almost done for the day, when all this happened. The very first thing I did.. was called my two sister in laws.. ones daughter worked as a flight attendant, the other was a son who lived in that area. We heard from the son who lived in NY right away..as he called hi mom to say he was okay..and then started sending pictures of all the smoke etc..he was seeing from his highrise apt. Now for my neice..it took us 4 hours to get confirmation, that she was NOT on any of those flights.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:35 AM

I was getting ready for work when the news broke on the TV. DH went on into work, I sent the kids to school, but I sat transfixed by the TV for the rest of the day. I had only recently moved from the Washington DC area and had many friends who worked in the Pentagon. I was very relieved to hear none of them were injured, but one of them did go into the area to help pull survivors out. I chatted with a former co-worker over instant messenger that day. It took him 2-3 hours to walk home - which was the only way he could get there - the Metro was closed down almost immediately. Fortunately for him, he only lived about 15 miles from work. If I had still lived there, my commute was 30 miles. I don't know how I would have gotten home.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

I was at home, alone. It was a beautiful glorious day and I was doing laundry to hang on the line in the gentle breeze. Nothing could be finer for this recently widowed woman who was legally blind and waiting for surgery to give me vision.

THEN on one of my trips thru my home for the next load of laundry, I heard on the radio, "Does this mean we are now at war?"

UGH! My closest friend who I turned to for most anything, was the other side of the USA at a Conference. They had flown to Calgary, and drove to the USA. So drove back to Canada, and had some extra holiday time til flights were moving again. I have never felt so alone and lost and uncertain of what to do and where to turn.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:43 AM

I was still in bed when my husband called and told me to turn on the TV. What a tragedy.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:47 AM

I was in Canada, coming back from vacation. Listening to talk radio…when it was interrupted & I heard the horrifying news. It was so surreal. I could not believe what I was hearing. I kept thinking, ’This cannot be, this cannot be happening.’ Then I realized I could not get back into the USA, my country. I felt so alone, without a home. Today, I can’t seem to move, it is as if it is still happening. For me it is forever etched in my mind.
So today, as we mourn those that we lost, I hope you can also take a moment to remember that our uniquely American mix of hope, resilience & ingenuity will continue to drive our great country forward.
God Bless our great country…America.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:52 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

thank you for the post. I have been reading the responces.

A day to remember. Only a handfull of those days for our country.

At work for a structural engineering firm. Too much horror. After watching the towers collaps and all the news.. back to my seat and worked hard.. Remember a co-worker from another country but proud to live here stepped out of his office "This means WAR!" That haunts me. He was right.

We still have soldiers in harms way to this day.

God Bless those that lost family and those that are still dealing with their personal experiences at each location NY, Washington and Pennsylvania experiences.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:58 AM

I was in London, England, on my first (and last) trip abroad. I just happened to be watching CNN a few minutes before the second plane hit. The overwhelming feeling of guilt, for not being "home-anywhere in the US" is beyond description. IT's an awful feeling to not know if you will have anywhere to go back to (in that moment) and be so far away from everyone you know and love, while everyone around you says "Oh My! That's terrible!" and then go back to daily routine...as we all do in seeing so many tragedies across the world. I can longer do that when I hear of something horrific..earthquakes, tsunamis, floods, and mass casualties. It affects me greatly.