Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 AM

Debbie your work is amazingly beautiful, such detail, I could only hope to ever be that good, you are a true inspiration....very very nice.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Why would applying by machine be any less "real" than applying by hand? Applique means "to apply" in French. Just as machine piecing and machine quilting are just as real as hand pieceing and hand quilting, machine applique is just as real.
It's not that it isn't 'real', it's just that, to me, the hand applique looks so much better. There is such a difference. That being said, when I do dogs, that's not something that is elegant and the raw edge applique 'fits' the project.
I do admire the hand stuff, though.
j

I sooo agree with Kathy, all types of applique are good, but the project selected is how I decide on which to use.

I use needle turn on "elegant" quilts, bed, things I make for myself & my familly.

To qualify that statement, years ago I made a needle turn quilt as a wedding gift for my secretary. It took almost a year to make, went to visit her 5 years later & the quilt was in the dogs bed & he was really enjoying it!
Lesson learned,I do NOT make hand applique for anyone outside the family, only those who know how much work it is!

I use fusible & raw edge for. Wallhanginngs, runners,pillows,,, etc.

I will say that my experience is that fusible does not hold up. Over many washings &yrs. Things. I made 15 years ago have frayed & needs occasional repair.

I just found this club,, & enjoyed reading everyones comments.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by gal288
Why would applying by machine be any less "real" than applying by hand? Applique means "to apply" in French. Just as machine piecing and machine quilting are just as real as hand pieceing and hand quilting, machine applique is just as real.
It's not that it isn't 'real', it's just that, to me, the hand applique looks so much better. There is such a difference. That being said, when I do dogs, that's not something that is elegant and the raw edge applique 'fits' the project.
j

I sooo agree with Kathy, all types of applique are good, but the project selected is how I decide on which to use.

I use needle turn on "elegant" quilts, bed, things I make for myself & my familly.

To qualify that statement, years ago I made a needle turn quilt as a wedding gift for my secretary. It took almost a year to make, went to visit her 5 years later & the quilt was in the dogs bed & he was really enjoying it!
Lesson learned,I do NOT make hand applique for anyone outside the family, only those who know how much work it is!

I will say that my experience is that fusible does not hold up. Over many washings &yrs. Things. I made 15 years ago have frayed & needs occasional repair.

Welcome to the group here! For those of you who haven't found it yet, Gal288 is doing a New Baltimore BOM which, gulp, I signed up for. :) She does beautiful work.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:58 PM

Thanks Bonni, great info here, &the quilts,, tonite they. Will dance in my dreams!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 PM

I just ran across this thread and am so excited to find it. The advise is amazing. I have done a little applique but not anything recent. I found a blog of a lady that does amazing work. Her name is Erin Russeck and she does Baltimore style blocks and has a BOM going right now. She's been giving tutorials on how to do different parts of each of the blocks. I've learned alot just by going back and reading past posts.

http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-piece-at-a-time/

Wanda
http://wandas-quilts-crafts.blogspot.com/
Old 03-21-2011, 06:50 PM

I love to applique. I do the satin stich and the blanket stitch. The ones in the photos have neither. So is the needle turn (which I assume is hand stitch only)the only way to get that great finished look?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:43 AM

Am a newbie at quilting & applique; just asked a pro at LQS the same question. Kathy said you can use freezer paper, a little larger than fabric to draw design. Fold fabric over edge of f-paper to create a small seam; press fabric to f-paper to create a tiny hem. When fabric cools, gently remove paper & place fabric on background, pin & stitch applique.
Hopefully Krafty-Bear or another experienced quilter can explain this or do a tute, but that's the general idea ;)

Just found this; hope it helps:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-93415-1.htm
Old 08-20-2011, 06:42 AM

Not sure I have posted here yet, but love applique, so here I am! I have done one of Sharon Pederson's block, using rubber cement & freezer paper, then machine appliqued it. Nice technique, but time consuming, to me anyway. This is from her Rose of Sharon book, love the blocks! Then I have been doing some hand applique quilt blocks, back basting method, from the book Hop To It by Edyta Sitar. Done two & am working on a third. Am also going to do my next Rose of Sharon block this way & see if I like it better. It's fun trying different techniques & even combining them, on some projects. Really love hand applique, as it makes it so portable to work on anywhere!.... Machine is nice too though, when you don't want to do it by hand, or need a break from it, lol, so am still playing with both right now.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Anonymous

Originally Posted by gal288
j

It depends how you applique it onto the backing. Satin stitch holds up as well as any needleturn.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:10 AM

Hi Sunburst, good to see another post here!
What is everyone working on? I keep skipping around on projects I have in the work, & keep starting new one, lol. I do love hand applique though, & think back basting is my most favorite technique. Now that fall is near & temps are cooling down, I am really getting back into my quilting, love it & am so glad I started it, on my own, years ago!