Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where were you when...9/11 memories >

Where were you when...9/11 memories

Where were you when...9/11 memories

Old 09-11-2011, 06:59 AM

I was in my sewing room working on a landscape quilt. My partner was on the internet,we had dialup at that time and my parents were trying to call me. My Dad came over telling me to turn to CNN. I moved my ironong board in front of the TV and worked as I watched. I still have that quilt and it always reminds me of a very very dark unforgetable day.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:18 AM

I was teaching my 4th graders. Our principal went door to door to tell the teachers about the first plane. WE quietly continued the morning taking our students to PE. Ran to the nearest empty class, flipped on the TV and watched the horror of the second plane. I remember crying and thinking how can these buildings remain standing and then it was silent as we saw the first building fall.

Later that week, my oldest daughter had a cross country meet at a Dallas park. It was supposed to be a combination with colleges. Of course the colleges cancelled. I remember the silence surrounding me. No planes, not an enormous crowd as it usually was. I cried that day as well knowing the world was not the same.

I remember my mother crying and watching the TV for JFK's funeral. I understand now all these years later the feelings of how these tragedies change our lives in small and large ways.

May all of us have a blessed day.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:20 AM

This is from my 33 yr old nephew who will always remember where he was that day.

GOD BLESS ALL THE PEOPLE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES ON 9/11 I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT DAY THE DAY THAT I SEEN THE PLANE HIT THE BUILDING RIGHT BEFORE MY EYES THE PEOPLE JUMPING AND THE LOOK ON THE FIREFIGHTERS FACE AS I WAS RUNNING FROM THE BUILDING TO THIS DAY I STILL HAVE FLASH BACKS.KNOWING THAT IF MY PARTNER AND I DIDNT TAKE MORNING BREAK EARLY THAT MORNING I WONT BE HERE NOW
Old 09-11-2011, 07:28 AM

I was on the phone with my daughter with the TV turned on. I told her to turn her TV on because she wasn't going to believe what was happening. I couldn't figure it out at first. Thought it was an accident.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:30 AM

I live here in Uk. At the time my husband and I were in a car showroom, waiting for the dealer to get the keys to a car we hoped to buy. We were sitting waiting in the lounge when it came on TV, and I was so upset that I decided that I did not want to bother with the car, and that I wanted to go home. The dealer was non too pleased, and I had to be very rude to him. It was a month later before we bought a car (not I might add, from that showroom).
I was due to travel to Washington with two friend,six weeks after that awful day, and people thought that we should not go, but as far as i was concerned, that was just giving in to terrorism and we decided to go. We visited close to the Pentagon and saw the devastation, and lit candles at a spot which had been turned into an impromptu memorial site.
It was all very emotional for me, as I had a son serving in the police and one serving with the fire service here in UK
May none of us ever have to witness such a thing again, although we have had the awful London terrorist attack.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:31 AM

...GETTING DRESSED FOR MY DADS FUNERAL.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:38 AM

My husband was a truck driver and even though we had one little one, I was still with him most of the time. Our son was born Memorial weekend that year, so he wasn't quite 5 months old yet.

Each and every week, we delived at a meat place on 10th St in NYC every single week. That particular week, we were sent to Boston. My husband woke me to listen to the radio. We left Boston as quickly as we could and barely made it out before they shut the city down since the planes originated in Boston.

We were in Jersey by the time the 2nd tower fell and they wouldn't let us into the city. It was like a second home to hubby since he was out there every single week.

Hubby's family didn't know that we went to Boston that week. We couldn't get cell service until late the next day. We finally got through to people and they all thought we were dead.

Our trips out there were never the same again. When the towers fell, they destroyed the little meat place that we used to deliver to. We would have been seriously injured if not worse, had we delivered in our usual place that week.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:40 AM

I was walking out the door to go to work at the airport.WhenI got there it was sooo quiet.There were people but everyone was in shock.All the tv's were on but no one said a work.They closed the airport and everyone was glued to all the tv's.In the weeks that followed everyone went about their day but we never forgot.It was the hardest weeks and month of my life to go to work.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:51 AM

I was on my way to work. The day before I had filled my CD changer because the radio had too many commercials, so I didn't know anything about it until I walked into the kitchen at the high schoolnwhereni worked. Everyone was crying/upset and my bosses parents called with updates. TVs were brought into the cafeteria and things were very subdued that day. Kids were crying- it was a very upsetting day
Old 09-11-2011, 07:52 AM

I had an 8am board meeting by phone conferencing. I connected but no one else came on line. So after several attempts i was able to get through to another board member and found out that all the lines were going down because of something bad happening in NY. She told me to turn to CNN. I did and was shocked. Then I saw the airplane hitting the second tower live on TV and went down to my knees and started crying and praying. I will never forget the horror of it all nor the bravery of the rescuers.