Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 09-11-2011, 07:15 AM

I am working on an Hawaiian hand applique block(s) and will be making a butterfly machine applique quilt soon for my g-daughter.

I enjoy doing both.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:08 PM

I have just started with needle turn applique, but the one thing I do not understand is that I often see people cutting out the fabric from behind the applique; even with the small parts. Now, if you were to quilt through your applique, I could understand - one less fabric layer to get through - but since most people quilt around their applique, why would you do that? Am I missing something?
Old 09-11-2011, 12:56 PM

Have you seen the applique with embellishments pix posted by KastleKitty?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-151929-1.htm

She has graciously promised a tute. This is the most beautiful applique I've ever seen!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by J.M.
I have just started with needle turn applique, but the one thing I do not understand is that I often see people cutting out the fabric from behind the applique; even with the small parts. Now, if you were to quilt through your applique, I could understand - one less fabric layer to get through - but since most people quilt around their applique, why would you do that? Am I missing something?
The only reason I can see doing it, is when you have used papers & have to remove them. Otherwise, I seen no reason to do it, why bother, right!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by merry
Have you seen the applique with embellishments pix posted by KastleKitty?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-151929-1.htm

She has graciously promised a tute. This is the most beautiful applique I've ever seen!
Different effect, pretty, isn't it!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Anonymous

Originally Posted by happymrs
Hi Sunburst, good to see another post here!
What is everyone working on? I keep skipping around on projects I have in the work, & keep starting new one, lol. I do love hand applique though, & think back basting is my most favorite technique. Now that fall is near & temps are cooling down, I am really getting back into my quilting, love it & am so glad I started it, on my own, years ago!
I have just posted another quilt picture across at 'Pictures' and 'Applique'
Old 09-11-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by happymrs
Originally Posted by J.M.
The only reason I can see doing it, is when you have used papers & have to remove them. Otherwise, I seen no reason to do it, why bother, right!
That's pretty much what I was thinking, and needle turn doesn't use paper (at least, the method I use doesn't), so I didn't see any reason to do it. Yet, every time I see someone posting the back of an appliqued block, I see they've cut out the fabric behind the applique. So I was like 'is there a reason to do this that I am missing?'
Old 09-11-2011, 02:17 PM

I LOVE applique work...by machine that is! (grinning) I have several pictures and quilts I've made using applique. I made a wallhanging this summer that welcomes friends in my home. So. Count me in!

And..talking about applique. Has everyone seen the new curved rulers that allow you to cut leaves and ribbon shapped borders? My sister and I bought all three sizes and a pattern. You back your fabric with adhesive like wonder under and then cut out the shapes. I was amazed that there was very little waste. The quilt on the front of the new Primitive Quilts magazine is ideal for using this ruler. Of course it's machine applique.

It's called the Leaves Galore Ruler by Sue Pelland Designs.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:35 PM

Same for me, when I use the Freezer Paper method. Everyone's looks so good compared to mine, I guess it takes practice.I'm just starting out, and know nothing about applique but what I have learned from trial and error.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:25 PM

I love to applique. I do it by hand, not machine. I used to have a quilting site in which I taught people about quilting. Here are the directions. Sorry about all the extra, but it was the program I used.TYPE: Text

Another way to applique is using fusible webbing. This is my favorite applique technique. It is an easy, quick, and accurate method. Pieces are cut without having to turn under the seam allowance. The only extra supply you will need is the fusible webbing.

Here are a few applique quilts I have done

========
BLOCK #3
========

TYPE: text

1. Feel the webbing. There is a smooth side and a "dotted" side. You want to trace your pattern on the smooth side, with either a permanent fabric marker or a pencil. You want to make sure you leave plenty of space between the pattern pieces, between 3/4" and 1". If your pattern has any dashed lines, also trace them.

========
BLOCK #4
========

2. Roughly cut the pattern pieces out. You want more than 1/2" between each piece.

========
BLOCK #5
========

TYPE:text

3. Pin the fusible web pieces on the fabric. Roughly cut out.

========
BLOCK #6
========

4. Using a small running stitch sew on the line. Sew all the way around the piece. If your piece goes underneath another piece, you can leave the part that is covered open.

========
BLOCK #7
========

5. Cut the pieces out using a scant 1/4" seams allowance. If your pattern has many curves, you might want to do some clipping.

========
BLOCK #8
========

TYPE:text

6. If your piece has an opening, gently turn it inside out through the opening. If your piece is closed, gently pull the webbing away from the fabric and make a small slit. Gently turn right side out through the slit.

Gently poke the points with a pointer tool.

========
BLOCK #9
========

Your applique is now ready to put on your background fabric. I prefer to sew my pieces down before I press them. This is because it is easier to remove hand stitching, then it is to remove fabrics that have been fused together.

=========
BLOCK #10
=========

7. Put your pieces aside until you are ready to use them.

=========
BLOCK #11
=========

TYPE: I prefer to sew my pieces down before I press them. This is because it is easier to remove hand stitching then it is to remove fabric that has been fused together.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-255119.jpe
Views:	282
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	255125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-255120.jpe
Views:	294
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	255126