Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Feathers Over Done? >

Are Feathers Over Done?

Are Feathers Over Done?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:39 AM

I agree, too much is not good.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:39 AM

I don't like too much quilting on quilts. Some that are showed on here have way to much quilting but it is what a person likes. I love the softness of quilts and don't want them standing up on their own.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:40 AM

I think feathers are way over done. They are beautiful, in moderation I also think a lot of people put way to much quilting in a quilt and to me it takes away from the beautiful patters we work so hard to put together. For me, less quilting is best.
Originally Posted by FERSID
Perhaps it's just me but sometimes I feel the quilting done by Longarm Quilting shops (private or store-front) are over-using the Feather Quilting design.

I see many, many absolutely beautiful quilt top pictures posted to show off their creations only to see that the Longarm quilter has smothered the quilt top with feathers.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of feathers on a quilt however, I often look at the pics and say to myself - it would have been nice if another quilting design was used other than the feathers or, along with the feathers to give the quilt some character.

Often I feel the feathers TAKE AWAY from the beautiful quilt top, its piecing and fabric colour/patterns.

This is not meant as criticism, but merely to find out other points of view - again I reiterate - I love the look of feathers BUT I think sometimes they should be used in moderation.

Thoughts please?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

I haven't seen a quilt on this board that I thought was over-quilted.
I am not a long-armer, in fact I'm a hand quilter learning to machine quilt (so I can get more quilts finished) but I tend to go for denser quilting for hand quilting.
We'll see how I go with my machine :D
Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
I agree. But I also like machine quilting that is less dense, too.
Same here.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by suebee
If one likes dense quilting, whether or not its a show quilt, then whats the big deal? If you dont like it, then dont do it or have it done. Pretty simple. Thats what makes us all unique. How boring would it be if all quilts were handquilted or all quilts were SID or all quilts had minimal quilting? By the way...feathers are a blast to do, oh..did I mention I love them? Do what you like or what makes you happy, but bashing others because you dont like it. well thats just silly. Have fun and Happy Quilting to all.
I don't think anyone is bashing anyone, just people having a discussion on what they like. No need to take it personally.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:50 AM
KR

I personally am not fond of feathers, but that's just me. Less quilting makes for a softer quilt, but there are times when I love to play with smaller quilting designs to fill an area.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:52 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by be a quilter
Originally Posted by suebee
If one likes dense quilting, whether or not its a show quilt, then whats the big deal? If you dont like it, then dont do it or have it done. Pretty simple. Thats what makes us all unique. How boring would it be if all quilts were handquilted or all quilts were SID or all quilts had minimal quilting? By the way...feathers are a blast to do, oh..did I mention I love them? Do what you like or what makes you happy, but bashing others because you dont like it. well thats just silly. Have fun and Happy Quilting to all.
I don't think anyone is bashing anyone, just people having a discussion on what they like. No need to take it personally.
I also feel that some ppl are 'bashing' as suebee puts it - and I don't think of myself as an over-sensitive type. :?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:54 AM

I agree..too much of a good thing. There was a quilt pic posted the other day and all I could was the quilting! Even on a close-up, I couldn't make out the quilt pattern. I wonder if any of these quilts drape as I think they should
Old 09-12-2011, 04:55 AM

So glad to know that I'm not the only one who likes a lot less quilting. I usually hand quilt and do stitch in the ditch or quarter inch from the seams and really like that look the best. I've seen several pictures that I couldn't see the piecing pattern of the quilt because there was so much quilting stitching. For me it makes the quilt very uninviting even though the stitching is beautiful and well done.