Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Feathers Over Done? >

Are Feathers Over Done?

Are Feathers Over Done?

Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 AM

Wow, I thought it was just me who disliked feathers. I like my quilts to be soft and cuddly and bendable. I always ask my quilters to do LIGHT quilting.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 AM

I agree not only on the feathers but overdoing the quilting.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:30 AM

Less is more on the feather issue. I too use feathers in my FMQ however some of the quilts don't require the amount of feathers. Let the beauty of the quilt pattern and the work of the piece work come through. I also found over quilting makes the quilt stiff.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:31 AM

I have had only one quilt done on a long arm and the lady gave me so many choices as to what I could have on it. She was fantastic, she listened to what I had to say about what I liked and didn't like and what the quilt meant to me.It was a special quilt done by many friends and two of them are no longer with us she then helped me pick out the final one from the designs I had chosen. She had samples of at least 75 or more designs done not just templates or pictures. I too despise stippleing and over done any design, it takes away from the cuddle of a quilt.

Just my opinon, I still like hand quiting best but knew this quilt would never get done as it was for me and I never find the time to do it.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:32 AM

I absolutely LOVE feathers! They are so graceful and so eye catching. However, what I really don't like is how densely some quilts are quilted. It definitely takes away from the beauty of the actual quilt, sometimes to the point that the design of the pieced quilt almost disappears! I think the quilt pattern and the quilting should be like a marriage - complimentary, and not in competition.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:35 AM

One thing I can tell you is that when someone places their hard work and creativity in my hands to quilt, I feel a great sense of responsibility to do my very best as do other LA quilters. We do our best for that person and that quilt. Everyone's likes and dislikes are different but if that quilt makes them happy, I'm happy even if it's not what I would have preferred to put on it. We may get a little carried away in our effort to please but tell me one quilter who doesn't get carried away-it's an addiction , you know. LOL
Old 09-12-2011, 06:38 AM

Whew... took some time to read all these comments.

I'm a LAQ, what my quilt maker wants they get. If they don't have an idea, I tell them to look at my website of facebook to see some pics. Asking them what will the quilt be used for. Utility quilts are something that don't need expensive quilting.

My logo~ Adding to the Beauty of what You already Created.

I enjoy feathers and most people who have googled and found me did so looking for a specific type of quilting. I have had people Google Cashton Amish Quilts and called me and thought I was Amish!

Enjoy!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 AM

Sometimes the quilting is just overdone (even if it's not feathers). I don't like when the quilting overtakes the piecing.

Machine quilting certainly is beautiful, but too many quilters want their quilting to show off more than the piecing. UGH.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 AM

Im not taking it personally at all. I am saying quilt how you want to quilt but dont put down other quilters because they like something you dont. Ive seen alot of comments about how stiff some quilts are when they are densely quilted...that is NOT always the case. If you use a low loft batting and like dense quilting, sure..its doing to be a little stiff, but if you use a high loft that is not alway the case. So, like I said quilt the way you want, quilt how you like it. I dont thing quilting detracts from one's piecing at all, but rather enhances it; most of the time :) HAPPY QUILTING!!!

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by be a quilter
Originally Posted by suebee
If one likes dense quilting, whether or not its a show quilt, then whats the big deal? If you dont like it, then dont do it or have it done. Pretty simple. Thats what makes us all unique. How boring would it be if all quilts were handquilted or all quilts were SID or all quilts had minimal quilting? By the way...feathers are a blast to do, oh..did I mention I love them? Do what you like or what makes you happy, but bashing others because you dont like it. well thats just silly. Have fun and Happy Quilting to all.
I don't think anyone is bashing anyone, just people having a discussion on what they like. No need to take it personally.
I also feel that some ppl are 'bashing' as suebee puts it - and I don't think of myself as an over-sensitive type. :?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:46 AM

I tend to agree with the "less is more" idea. I just saw a beautiful bargello quilt and it was so over quilted that it was difficult to see the shading and piecing. I appreciate the different quilt designs and the abilities of LAQ but IMHO the very detailed quilting show off better in a whole cloth piece.