Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I overly cautious during storms? >

Am I overly cautious during storms?

Am I overly cautious during storms?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 AM

I treadle right through our storms. ;)
Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 AM

I do the same thing, so unplug to be on the safe side.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:52 AM

You are doing the right Thing. I use my laptop until the battery is close to running out then I will use my cell phone to read these posts, but so far have not had to go that far. I also unplug the surge protector to be on the safe side.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:04 AM

I always unplug mine when not in use....better safe than sorry.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
Nope not at all.. I tend to do the same...especially shutting down the 'puter...crafty_linda_b
Me too. I unplug my machines and don't use the PC at all during a thunder storm. Why spend hard earned money on items that can easily be damaged during a storm when that is easily prevented?

Nope, you're not being overly cautious - I think you're being smart! :thumbup:
Old 09-12-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
Today was a frustrating day! We had a lot of storms in the area - it was very dark, thunder, eventually we had hail and heavy rain.

When we have or are likely to have thunder storms, I not only don't use my sewing machine or computer, I unplug them from the power strips.

Am I overly cautious? I didn't get much done today!
I don't think so. When I bought my Bernina in '85 the owner of the LQS recommended that I unplug my machine after each use, getting into the habit. Because when we have rain here we usually have a bad lightening storm go with it. She said there had been a couple of ladies who had their machines damaged due to lightening striking and running through the wires to their machines. I know that this has happened to lots of people out here too many times over the years with t.v. sets due to lightening storms. So as a caution, because I really can't afford a new machine and do not want to have mine damaged, just because I don't want to take about 30 sec. to prevent it, I always unplug my machines and have for years. I have such a habit of doing so now, I will continue.
The choice is yours however, but I truly don't think you are being over cautious.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Smart cookie!
There are countless articles on the internet talking about how people have lost TV's, computers and countless other electronics from power surges during storms.

From our last hurricane I had to replace my wireless router 3 TIMES! in 1 week even though we unplugged everything!

Sure miss the $90! I would be a nut case if my Bernina 1010 was lost! I've had that baby for years! And I NEVER sew during even a "mild" thunderstorm! In fact I keep my machine unplugged whenever I am not using it--just in case!

Boy are quilters smart!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by heljoy50
Originally Posted by gale
Originally Posted by heljoy50
I turn the power off at the wall and pull the plug out of all my electronic items, TV, hard drive recorder,stereo system, PC and all the sewing machines.
You unplug all of that? So you can't set your recorder to record something in advance? I have weekly programs set to record and sometimes will record something late at night or in the am before I get up. If I unplug it for very long, it'll lose all my settings. :shock:
I don't watch a lot of TV, but I record some programs if I can't watch them. I don't set it for recording in advance. And I only disconnect if there is a storm about, which doesn't happen often here where I live in Queensland. But I always pull the plugs from my machines after I have finished sewing. They are too costly to have to replace!!
Oh ok. I thought you meant you unplug all of that whenever you aren't using it. I would hate to have to reset the clock and all my favorite channels every day.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:50 AM

If you have serge protectors you should be fine. On the other hand we had a large storm that took out our power for a couple of days. Because we were going to be gone and no idea when the power would come back my husband shut off the main breaker to the house to avoid a serge. Several neighbors said they had blown bulbs etc
Old 09-12-2011, 12:02 PM

After having our house hit by lightening (came through the antenna tower)and replacing computer, I don't hesitate to unplug!!