Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rice/? bag help and ideas >

Rice/? bag help and ideas

Rice/? bag help and ideas

Old 09-12-2011, 09:03 AM

I make these bags for our cancer treatment center to pull up veins on patients and for those I use corn. but for genteral warming and cooling I use flax seed. It lasts for years and even if it gets damp it won't get nasty smelling. I also make an outer cover that you can wash whick is VERY important
Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

I have heard about using rice, the snuggle bags that I had I bought from a friend and she uses field corn to fill them, and I didn't have a problem with bugs, or mice. Of course, in the winter I would go to bed with at least 4 of them in stragegic places. I had the poem, but lost it. I'll see if I can track it down for you. I think I saw a Martha Stewart show where she used buckwheat, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 AM

I use a combination of 1/2 rice and 1/2 buckwheat. You can mist it if you need moist heat. The buckwheat holds the heat a little better than just plain rice, and can also be used as a cold pack. I make neck warmers in a big C shape around 6 inches wide, and make a wiggly quilted line down the middle so the filling stays flatter, not as heavy, and stays evenly distributed. They work great, and no problem with bugs!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:02 AM

I use cherry pits also,my friend found them at the grain elevator. I get terrible charlie horses and the warmth helps me immediately, I can't explain it,but somehow it works. I love my cherry pit bag
Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 AM

I use flax seed mixed with dried lavender!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:11 AM

Yes, a friend gave me one that she had used corn in. Over the summer the mic e did quite a job on it.!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:16 AM

I use white tube socks( no heel) with rice. They conform to any shape you need andare great for neck area. I fill to bottom of ribbed area and close off there. I have had these for the last 4 years and had no rodent problems. I made 2 doz for friends and they love them and haven't had any problems. They do get quite hot so i always use extra towel.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
Originally Posted by AnnT
I've used rice which works well but have heard feed corn retains the heat longer. I plan to make a few with the feed corn and see. I read somewhere about using BB pellets but haven't tried that one yet.

I usually make the bag out of muslin and make a little pillowcase for it. The pillowcase can be removed and washed if needed.
BBs are made of metal. I don't think you would be wanting to be putting those in your microwave. Seems like it would blow up? If foil, spoons, etc are a bad idea....well, I would skip the bbs.
It was the soft pellet BB's...The article said they were made of some kind of plastic. I need to see if I can find it again. I had it saved to favorites but then the computer crashed and all that was lost. :(
Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 AM

If you add a bit of eucalyptus the bugs will stay away
Old 09-12-2011, 12:00 PM

cherry pits work great...either you have to eat a lot of cherries or live by an orchard processing plant. Maybe a search on google would render cherry pits, they do work good and retain their heat for along time.