Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Feathers Over Done? >

Are Feathers Over Done?

Are Feathers Over Done?

Old 09-12-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by dunster

Computerized quilting is making great strides, but in the beginning I could look at a quilt and tell you immediately that the quilting was computerized, and that was NOT a good thing. Now that the quilter has more freedom to arrange the design that's no longer the case.
right! i wasn't referring to all over designs. i was thinking in terms of designing and stitching out blocks. using pantos or computers in blocks are very nice if it's the right design. and since i'm not familiar with the beginning of computerized quilting, i can't make a statement concerning that. i only know what i see now.

what do you mean, i'm a trouble-maker? :lol: :lol:
Old 09-12-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
Originally Posted by aorlflood
I agree. But I also like machine quilting that is less dense, too.

oh yes....i don't like quilts that are almost "hard" from so much quilting......they lose that cuddly feel.....am a firm believer in " a little goes a long way"
ditto for me. I like soft and cuddly to quilts for my bed.

Wallhangings are another story and catagory all to their own.:)
Old 09-12-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
I think a distinction needs to be made between bed quilts - ie quilts to be used which are nicer soft (though dense quilting can be soft if the correct wadding is used) and art quilts where the quilting is an inherent part of the design... It seems to me that many of you are talking exclusively about bed quilts but art quilts are quilts too.

PS Why is it that so many of these discussions on here instead of being an honest and frank exchange of views, with room for everyone's opinions, quickly degenerate into ppl hating this and that and indirectly or even directly insulting others' tastes? Some ppl seem to have issues the second we get away from oohing and aahing over each others' work. It's a shame. :?

i firmly agree about the difference between art/bed quilts, but still only if the quilting is integral to the artwork. on all quilts i want to see the craftsmanship that the piecer put into the work, instead of it being smothered by stitches.

i, too, noticed the not-too-frank discussion going on and the
amazing ability of people to ignore what they don't agree with or don't want to hear. they'll probably ignore me as well.

there are many ways to quilt. i don't like them all in some circumstances. i do like them all in other circumstances. feathers are fine here and there, but not all over the place, as far as i'm concerned. the same with every other design pattern.
the quilt police can tie me to the post and execute me now.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 PM

Well, I'm going to "have to" weigh in again; the comments were not mean-spirited at all, IMHO. I believe the opinions expressed on the board were merely our own opinions, which we are allowed to make. I did not read anyone's comments that denigrated anyone's work; merely that we preferred less quilting on quilt tops. I hope I haven't misread the comments.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 PM

Well, I'm going to "have to" weigh in again; the comments were not mean-spirited at all, IMHO. I believe the opinions expressed on the board were merely our own opinions, which we are allowed to make. I did not read anyone's comments that denigrated anyone's work; merely that we preferred less quilting on quilt tops. I hope I haven't misread the comments.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by Selena
Originally Posted by Quiltinvaca

Who knew "feathers" could create such a crowd?!
I love it! You never know what will set people off and I just love to read the reactions. We have some great personalities on this board.
And this one has really set people off...I keep checking just to see what's next.
Well said again Sadiemae. There have been some real sarcastic things said here that could hurt feelings easily, like pointing out specific quilts (yes, you know who you are) and saying things like "Ive seen quilts that could stand up on their own" thats just plain rude. It really is too bad.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo
You must have missed some comments, specific quilts were targeted and that IS rude and hurtful.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:36 PM

I have now read nearly all the "feather" comments and I believe the word "bashing" is a bit strong. I haven't seen any comments that I would call bashing or am I just dense. I am sure that some people will take offense at the idea that not all of us like feathers, but we are entitled to our opinions, too. 'Nuf said.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:11 PM

I agree, some of the quilts I have seen posted here have so much quilting on them it is in itself a seperate quilt to the one that was originally pieced.
I agree that some quilts lend themselves to "tight" quilting and that sometimes it is what the person wants, but personally when I see a quilt that has been quilted the first thing I want to think is ""WOW"" what a beautiful quilt, great colours, fantastic piecing, spectacular pattern and then "Gosh" isn't the quilting fabulous, wish I had so much talent!!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:24 PM

I do simple feathers, I work for a lady that takes the orders, then tells me what she wants me to do, simple feathers are a lot quicker than stitch in the ditch and do not show the sometimes little wobbles that stitch in the ditch shows all the time. swirls and loops are also very quick and forgiving. I love the experience.