My Kitty is ill.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by carhop
The Hill Sicence id will help I put my dog down in January with kidney failure she did quite well until the last week she would not eat and the final night I had her she started having seizures so the next morning I had her put down when they get that far their backend will not work
Hill's Science Diet worked well for our cat too, when he was in kidney failure. His was due to the medicine we had to give him for an over active thyroid. He lived four years from when he started taking the medicine and he was ready when he was put down at 18 years old.

I wish you well with your kitty.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:00 PM

Get well wishes to Benny!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:05 PM

We had a cat with the same kidney problem and a thyroid problem. We had to cut him off from tuna as well and fed him Science Diet the rest of his life.

The only problem was that we couldn't give him medicine for either problem because the medicines for each of them made the other condition worse.

I hope your kitty has many healthy years left, and that diet will help him. I'm sure he's like family.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Google Goddess

Hugs Hugs
Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 PM

We all love our Cats...Good thoughts coming his way...Keep us updated
Old 09-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Kas

Chicken baby food is what we gave our kitty when she wouldn't eat. She loved it. We also mixed in canned pumpkin (without spices) to help with her tummy. I hope your baby is better, soon.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Our kitties suffered from renal failure. We gave them science diet for kidneys because of the low protein. It is always a toss up - make them suffer from food they hate, or give them what they like and know they will have a shortened life. Good luck with it. I hope he does well.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:18 AM

I have a 12 year old lab that has chronic kidney disease. Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done since the kidney's don't regenerate. Low phosphorous is more important than protein. I also give my dog fluids a few times a week. The canned food has more water in it, so if you can get her to eat canned it would be better than the dry. Good luck - it is a difficult disease since it cannot be cured. Check the internet also - you will get a lot of info from there.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:00 AM

Yes, I just went through all of this. My cat, Penny was 14 years old. She lost so much weight and could not eat one bite of food. We also gave her IV's and even put a stopper of Hills' special diet down her throat every 3 hours. She did not eat for 9 days and finally we put her down about 10 days ago. She was sitting on my lap purring right before we took her to the vet. He told us that she had gone too long without food and her entire body would be shutting down. She was already vomiting all over the house and I just could not let my precious cat suffer. It has been heartbreaking since she is gone and I went out to the Rescue league here and got a beautiful young male cat 2 days ago. It truly is not a home without a cat in it for me. My heart goes out to you as I know exactly how you feel right now. I am so sorry.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I'm so sorry that you baby is having problems. Hopefully you can find some food that will work. We haven't had much luck getting any of ours to eat when they don't want to do that, however, I just saved a preemie with jars of baby food..chicken and turkey flavored. Good luck to you dear...please let us know..sending hugs to your and your baby.