Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best "work horse - no frills sewing machine"??? >

Best "work horse - no frills sewing machine"???

Best "work horse - no frills sewing machine"???

Old 09-13-2011, 04:32 AM
C.

NO QUESTION, HANDS DOWN JANOME 6600!!!! This is one work horse and my favorite of five. I have had it for five years and hubby last year said I could trade for the 7700. I didn't after looking at it and wanted to keep my known work horse. Does it all, have never had a problem. I want it to last forever...When I teach or show friends, they love it too. And not as expensive as a few others. I would suggest sitting down and trying some machines, including this one, and than make a decision according to price and ease. Good luck....C.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:39 AM

I use the janome 6600P, it is great and has both options you want, plus the knee lift, and stop/ start buttion, that eliminates the foot pedal, but it has that too, if you wish to use it. Plus the accufeed system, which is worth the price all by itself..
Old 09-13-2011, 04:43 AM

If money is an issue how about looking for a used Singer 301. Have heard good things about them.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:45 AM

If you're wanting a modern machine - Hands down, a Juki TL98Q

While it only does a straight stitch it has a 9" throat/harp space, knee control presser foot lever, power foot controller with power & thread cutter pedals (there is also a thread cutter button on the front neck of the machine below the stitch regulator), needle threader, needle up/down button and this machine sews absolutely beautifully and works like a horse.

It also has an extension table which can be easily put on or removed depending on your sewing needs and comes with a good assortment of accessories and presser feet.

If you're wanting a Vintage machine -

A Singer 301 - mine is fantastic - sews only a straight stitch but stitches beautifully and works like a charm.

A Singer 500 Rocketeer - this not only sews a straight stitch, it does Zig Zag and a myriad of decorative stitches using Cams.

Any Vintage Necchi (only the ones MADE IN ITALY though - stay away from the ones made in Japan - they're mostly plastic with plastic gears, are not reliable and are not built to last like the Italian all metal machines) They truly are work horses and sew beautifully. I love both my Necchi BU Nova and my Necchi Supernova Automatica.

Good luck in your search.

It took me a while to find my Rocketeer but she's in near mint condition and sews like a charm.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:37 AM

I love my old Bernina...it has never given me a bit of trouble. It is @ 35 years old and still going great!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by quilts4charity
If you just want straight stitch, I love my Juki TL98Q. Has the cutter,knee lift and needle down. I can't tell you how many quilts this baby has made and I drag it to Kansas for quilt retreat. She's a real workhorse, does great free motion and has the 9" throat so a little more room. I think they have a newer model now, but I think this one will last me a LOT longer, so I'll just keep her!
Ditto! Love this machine.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:52 AM

I have a Singer Heavy Duty machine as a "work Horse" Will sew through 6-8 layers of leateher if needed. It has 10 basic decorative stitches and a buttonhole stitch. No mother board to burn up. Thread up and down is by hand, and the thread cutter is on the side. Came with attachementsstippling foot etc. Three needle position, stitch length control, automatic threader,zipper foot,lower feed dogs, pressure foot adjustment, and some other features.
When my other other machines hesitate to go through thichness, this one will always do it.
Singer 4423 Heavy Duty runs around $200.00 and is a favorite for me.
Its not going to make little duck stitches, or flowers, but it is a reliable, and tough little machine.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I like my Brother 1500 straight stitch only. All the modern features with knee lift and all metal guts. Large throat space so machine quilting is very easy. It's reasonably priced at around $600 or less.
I agree, a great machine, fast & heavy duty.
Maire
Old 09-13-2011, 06:13 AM

I like the computerized sewing machines but the pc boards are always going out on them. I have found the Singer 401's don't take a regular belt. They have a steel cleted belt which lasts forever. They sew like a dream and have built in stitches, 3 needle positons, etc. I was given one of these by a friend. When I took it apart to oil it I was amazed at the construction.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:14 AM

Bernina. Mine is an embroidery unit. I simply can't say enough about it. It's just an awesome sewer. Use it for my quilt's too.