My Kitty is ill.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:03 AM

Ten is really young to go into renal failure. I have had cats my whole adult life and have never had one go into renal failure this young. Try some of the foods suggested here and if that doesn't work if she were mine i would give her peace. My prayers are going out for you.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:15 AM

hoping Benny is feeling better or at least more comfortable.
((( Hugs ))) my calico is also 10 yrs. old
Old 09-13-2011, 06:27 AM

We had this problem with our 20 yr old cat. Bought special LOW protein cat food and he did well for another few months. We were also giving IV to keep him hydrated. Unfortunately we did have to let him go when he no longer responded to IV or food. We were very blessed to have him 20 yrs. Just remember - LOW PROTEIN a must.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:37 AM

We had a dog with that problem...We fed him boiled chicken and rice..the vet suggested that. As she got better, she would not ever eat dog food again so we always had chicken for her. She lived for 13 years. Good luck..my heart goes out to you.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:02 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions and most of all your support and love. I'm writing this with tears flowing down my face. You all are soooo kind!!

I'm taking Benny to the vet today after work. More blood work. I tried the dog food, but he just turned up his nose. My other kitty, TC, hogged out on it.
But today, Benny ate Science Diet canned baked tuna dinner. I kinda psyched him out by using the tuna dish instead of the regular bowl. The fluids are helping. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by dlbrandt
Thank you all for your suggestions and most of all your support and love. I'm writing this with tears flowing down my face. You all are soooo kind!!

I'm taking Benny to the vet today after work. More blood work. I tried the dog food, but he just turned up his nose. My other kitty, TC, hogged out on it.
But today, Benny ate Science Diet canned baked tuna dinner. I kinda psyched him out by using the tuna dish instead of the regular bowl. The fluids are helping. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.
I swear by Science Diet if you can get him to eat it. My cat (Peach)eats the dried food but won't touch the canned. I have a Silky Terrier who eats both wet Turkey only..she is picky!)and dry she will be 16 yrs old in Dec. My 17 yr old Angel died last week. I am still so sad about her but she was pretty fiesty until the end. No more dogs for me!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

It's tough having a sick family member - four legged or two legged.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:27 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your cat. My Gracie will be 18 next month. I have gone thru several episodes with her where I was sure she was dying. She had quit eating for over a week. I saw she was still drinking water. Figured if she could do that she could swallow she could handle this home remedy. My solution was aloe. the common garden variety, not a processed liquid. I took a long spear, sliced it open, scraped the jell, added a teaspoon of water and fed it to her with medicine dropper. Did this for days, then bought baby food and fed with dropper. Have also used aloe on places that made very bad raw places on her head. Used this full strength. Had taken her to vet, spent lots of money and it always returned. No return in over 7 years with this.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:56 AM

sorry to here this-I just lost my 16 yo cat with kidney failure. He was my soul mate and I miss him terribly.
All you can do is love them and take care of them while you have them.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 AM

My Cat had stomach problems this spring & my Vet recommended Activa. She loved it & her problems went away. Good Luck.