My Kitty is ill.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:36 PM

Just came back from the vet. Benny gained 2 oz. He went from 9lb 3 oz to 9lb 5 oz. The vet tech said that was a good gain for a kitty. She felt his fur and said that he wasn't as dehydrated. His lab work came back with excellent drops in the BUN and Creatine. They're still high but dropped considerably. His glucose is normal. The vet said to continue with 50cc LRingers per day for a week and then 3 times a week. I go back in a month. I'm on my way to Pet Smart to buy a water fountain for Ben so he doesn't run up my waterbill from drining out of the bathtub faucet. I did get one can of the Kidney food from the vet to try. Thank you to everyone. Your kind words helped me in this sad situation. I'll keep you all posted. Hugs!!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:43 PM

I couldn't wait to get home from work to check Benny's progress. So happy for the weight gain. He's lucky to have you to take care of him.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Cyn

Yea! All 5 of my cats drink from a ceramic water filtered bubler (as my family calls it). They love it and I hope yours does too :)
Old 09-13-2011, 02:22 PM

I'm very sorry to hear about your kitty. I lost a dog in July, and she was not able to keep anything down. I fed her Pedialite to keep her hydrated. She liked the Cherry flavor.

She was leading to get kidney disease also. I had to put her to sleep.
She was 13 years old. The vet said it is from a long time exposure to the chemicals in dog food.

Hope your kitty is better soon.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:29 PM

My heart bleeds with you. I did not know what to do and called all over and went to different vets and finally had to put my kitty down in the fall of 2008. Haven't got over that yet. Later found a better vet and paid huge dollars for bladder surgery for our 10 year old cat. She is now fine and the vet said the first one could have been saved...if I had only known and gotten to the right vet.

I don't know what is best for your cat, but I do know how hard it can be to do the right thing and to find the right help.

Prayers on your behalf. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:34 PM

So sorry. I don't have any ideas either but sure hope he improves.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:15 PM

there is a science diet for renal problems available, but not just anywhere. my DD daughter had to get it for two of her cats. they lasted on that for a few years. sorry to say but at some point the kidneys willl just stop functioning, and there is no way back from that. enjoy the time you have with your little one.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:16 PM

I had the same thing happen to one of my fur balls... wouldn't eat the prescription food... so I just put some on my finger and rather gently but firmly pushed it down his throat. After a few times, he ate it on his own and recovered. Hope this helps... gentle pat and a soft scratching behind the ears....
Old 09-13-2011, 03:48 PM

My heart goes out to you. I lost my sweet cat named Spot to the same thing a few years ago. My vet thought she might have eaten some of the contaminated food that was out back then. Spot would eat cooked chicken livers, not much else. This may be hard to hear, but please try to recognize when the IV fluids are not helping your sweetie to feel better and have the courage to do the right thing. I will be remembering you in prayers, I know how heartbreaking this is.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:57 PM

So sorry to hear about your sweet kitty.We recently lost our precious Midnight to that very thing except his was quick.So sad.I cried for a week everytime I thought of him i balled.We did everything the vet told us and he just couldn't fight it.Such a sweet kitty...I really miss him.Hope your outcome is better.{hugs}