Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wondered Why the Machine Was Being Balky...DUH!!! >

Wondered Why the Machine Was Being Balky...DUH!!!

Wondered Why the Machine Was Being Balky...DUH!!!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:47 AM

What??!!! You're supposed to clean them?? No wonder my machines been acting a little crazy lately. I'm going to have to make this my weekend project!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
My modern Brother machine had been very trouble free for the 18 months I have had it. It was great and had 80 decorative stitches, was a strong stitcher, etc. I had no complaints about it at all.

About 3 weeks ago it started acting really strange, tangling bobbin thread, breaking top thread at the feeddogs, not moving the fabric through right. I set it on the floor and took out my vintage Singer 301 and Featherweight and finished a couple of projects.

Last night DH helped me get the needle plate off to take a look. Well, goodness!! No wonder it was acting strange!! I realized not once had I taken that plate off, and every single nook, cranny, spring, space, crack, feeddog track and all was packed solid with lint.

DUH!!! I just hadn't thought about it, since it's a drop in bobbin in front of the foot.

SO....CLEAN YOUR MACHINE!! I should post that over my thread rack on the wall. Sorry, little Brother machine....I promise not to neglect you again!!
LOL....I have done that with my Bernina too. One day it just stopped sewing at all and I couldn't imagine what in the world was wrong. It was fairley new at the time too. I took the plate off and low & behold, the feed dogs were packed with lint. Now, I clean that area out every time I have to change the bobbin. We live and learn, don't we? Mary
Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 AM

I found a little vacuum attachment set on line that has an adapter to connect to my vacuum's hose.They are sized to clean out sewing machines and computers and keyboards. Those cans of air have moisture in them that can eventually damage the machine and just blow the lint further into the machine workings.
The attachment set was only $10 and I think well worth it. I found it on Amazon and a couple of other places.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 AM

I've done that
Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

I'm sure most of us had done this to some degree in the past. I have a little spot next to the bobbin case where I can see through my clear bobbin cover. When I start to see some lint building up in there, I stop what I'm doing and clean it ou, it saves a lot of headaches later on. Also, be sure to clean between the feed dogs. I find a soft, used toothbrush helps there, and I have a small, short bristled brush that I use to clean out the rest of the cavity area. The first time I cleaned out between my feed dogs, I think I could have used the lint as a piece of tiny felt, it had built up that long. Look at it as a lesson learned that you won't repeat in the future. Every day we have a new learning experience. Happy quilting - lint free.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:29 AM

I'm glad you didn't burn up your motor!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:25 PM

I am bad about cleaning my machines too. Get so involved in sewing I just don't think about it. But when I do clean, what a difference it makes. Maybe they should start making machines with "Clean Me" printed on them. LOL
Old 09-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilting.addict
I never thought about cleaning my Viking. Of course, I had never quilted before. So seven years go by and my sweet machine starts acting up. I take the bobbin area apart...lo and behold, I had enough to lint to make batting for a baby quilt!!! LOL
Jeannie, you are too funny!!
My Viking works so much better after a good cleaning, too!!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 PM

My first quilt teacher did this as well so don't feel too bad. She said she "forgot". lol
Old 09-13-2011, 02:45 PM

My rule is: change the bobbin--brush the lint out--change projects--take faceplate off & clean lint. Had my Bernina for 15 yrs--no problems or service.