Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
does anyone else have problems using their favorite fabrics? >

does anyone else have problems using their favorite fabrics?

does anyone else have problems using their favorite fabrics?

Old 09-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jill
I have several that I've been holding onto for years. Just today I used the remaining fabric for the third and final border on a scrap quilt. Then I almost shrieked because toward the very end I realized I was about 6" short. I went through my scrap bins and couldn't find any. I did have one piece left that was about 2-1/2" wide (I needed 3-1/2") and 12 inches long. Thank goodness it was dark and busy because I was able to sew the two strips together and cut it into a 3-1/2" width and finish the border. But now my fabric is all gone....
:cry:
Old 09-14-2011, 04:10 AM

A perfect project will come along. I don't usually have the problem of cutting into a new fabric but the vintage ones are a real problem for me. I know for sure most of these I will never see again. But I am getting better.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 AM

Yes, I have a lot of Jo Morton fabric. Just can't cut it!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:31 AM

I buy the large rolls of fat quarters can't that I can't even bring myself to crack open! They're too pretty. Always saving for that special project.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:33 AM

I feel the same way with some of my fabrics but really.....are we saving it so when we are gone(never know when our time is up!) the kids sell it on the estate sale for $1.00 a box of fabric or give it to Goodwill? We really should use it instead of saving it. I had an Aunt who used her best china every Sunday to serve the Sunday dinner to her family. Her thought is who is more important than your own family? And why save it for the next wife when she is gone? LOL
Old 09-14-2011, 04:39 AM

Oh my, I have too many that Ilike and hate to cut. But I am doing a few here and there, in my head. Lol
Old 09-14-2011, 05:11 AM

I have many pieces that are all my favorites. Why else would I have bought them? I also see that someone else likes butterflies. I have at least 7 pieces of them. Now trying how to use them to enhance their beauty (at least to me they are beautiful).
Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 AM

I am the same way with my favorites. But I figure there is that perfect quilt pattern with the fabric waiting to merge together.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
Originally Posted by kriscraft99
I have quite a few but don't want to use them - I know it is silly but I just can't seem to find the right project for them.
ROFLMBO ~ again and again and again! Whole family has giggle-snits on this one!
Here is one that took me YEARS to cut... only recently did my precious Laurel Burch get snipped! (and the remaining yardage is tucked safely back into her shelf!!!)
Love the purse! Is there a pattern or is it an original from "fabric whisperer"?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:44 AM

I have several special cows in my stash. They come out of the barn, but go right back in, they are afraid to be in the light too long. Then I have some not as special cows who come out every time I open the door and never get choosen, They do not like the dark. Then there are those whojust like to let it all hang out, they just show up in every quilt. I am amazed how they separate themselves.