Thank yous

Old 09-13-2011, 01:56 PM

I'll also add, that being a giver has made ME more aware of being a thanker. And my children are also be thankers. It is rude and horrible manners to not thank someone.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:22 PM

Thank you all so much... may still never get thank yous, however, sure felt good to "vent"... My brother has 3 daughter... 2 married. One thanks and is having second child... both children have and will receive baby blankets with much love. We'll see. So for now... thank you all... My son is handicapped and doesn't "use" a gift until a thank you is sent... thankfully, he's 30.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:02 PM

Why should you even think about giving a second quilt, a baby quilt, or even a place mat to someone who received a quilt and did not say thank you? If they are VERY vocal about wanting a baby quilt, if they are very vocal about expecting a baby quilt, then buy an inexpensive one and send it. But never, ever, send a hand made quilt to someone who is insensitive enough to not say thank you for a gift. If a person cares about the person who gave the gift, they will say thank you. If you send another gift you are in the position of trying to buy affection - even if it is one of your own children or grandchildren.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
Why should you even think about giving a second quilt, a baby quilt, or even a place mat to someone who received a quilt and did not say thank you? If they are VERY vocal about wanting a baby quilt, if they are very vocal about expecting a baby quilt, then buy an inexpensive one and send it. But never, ever, send a hand made quilt to someone who is insensitive enough to not say thank you for a gift. If a person cares about the person who gave the gift, they will say thank you. If you send another gift you are in the position of trying to buy affection - even if it is one of your own children or grandchildren.
AMEN ...... and AMEN again!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:01 AM

People don't seem to RSVP anymore - my granddaughter was invited to a birthday sleepover - 8 girls were invited. She was the only one who showed up! I made her write a thank you note to the parents for letting her sleep over for 2 nights instead of the one night.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:31 AM

My personal approach is that if there is not a thank you nor an acknowledgement of some kind, then there is usually no more gifting. If there should be a subsequent gift for any reason, it is usually small and inconsequential by comparison.

If ever the lack of or a lesser gift is mentioned (hardly ever by the recipient, but usually a relative who may have been asked to mention it), I will inform them something to the effect that because I never heard a thing about the earlier gift (usually a quilt in which I gladly invested a lot of time and expense), that I thought they simply didn't care for it.

I don't give gifts for the thanks to be returned, but I also don't do rudeness nor disrespect - at least not a second time.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:07 AM

I have gotten where I don't expect a thank you anymore. Some send thanks but most don't! I make sure to take a picture of piece before I give as a gift!!! :D
Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 AM

I do not think you're too sensitive. I believe that basic kindness and consideration, if not good manners, require some sort of recognition when someone else has given time, skill and effort to making or doing something for another. I'm also believe that a growing tolerance for a lack of common courtesy feeds the problem. These days, I simply don't continue to make quilts or buy gifts for those who can't take time to thank me and show some appreciation.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

Send them a note requesting a picture of them with the quilt! Tell them why you want it! If asked in a nice way and they understand why you want it, I'm sure they will comply! It was probably overlooked at the time of the wedding. Good luck! :)
Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 AM

In my opinion if they didn't at least send you a thank you and when they have children and they "expect" a quilt, you most likely won't get a thank you for those quilts, so I would say that it's up to you, if you want a thank you note, and you don't get it, then that would be the last handmade gift they got from me. My personal opinion.