Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips on straight seams >

Tips on straight seams

Tips on straight seams

Old 09-14-2011, 04:57 AM

There are many good suggestions here (smile). Just keep working at it and soon it will be second nature. The key is to be sure you always have fun while you are creating.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:10 AM

Relax and take a few deep breaths before you start. Try to keep your mind on tracking your fabric a couple of inches in front of the foot. Even with a 1/4" foot you may want to put tape or sticky notes so you can line up the fabric ahead of the foot. Use leaders and enders so you start and end blocks accurately. When you chain piece, remember that the first few stitches and the last few stitches need to be right on target since they make the difference between perfect points and not perfect ones.

I find that my biggest enemy is letting my mind wander (especially with long seams) or (when chain piecing) trying to get the next piece in right and ignoring the one I am finishing. I have to stop and give myself a shake when this happens.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:30 AM

I use blue painters tape on one machine, and a strip of moleskin padding on another. Both work for me. Like the posts say above, look ahead and your eyes will be trained to 'see' and 'guide' your fabric in a straight lined 1/4 inch seam. I tried the Angler 2 guide and frustratingly took it off and taped it to the back of a cabinet door. Have another one in the package not opened up that I wanted to use for my other machine. Should have stuck to the tape method I have been using for years.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 AM

I use the 1/4 inch foot and it helps me the most. The little metal guide on the foot helps me keep my fabric where it should be.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:40 AM

I don't have a fancy dancy machine. I have a regular sears sewing machine. I pin, and follow my pressure foot and line on the plate. Works pretty good for me
Old 09-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

I pay attention to a specific spot that assures 1/4" seam (or close to that) AND I go relatively slow. That way I can make small adjustments as I go.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 AM

Cut you fabric on grain in a straight line and do not push or pull it under the needle when sewing. Also avoid all drag as the fabric approaches and passes under the presser foot. Let the feed dogs do their job and they will pull it in a straight line with no help from you at all. ;)
Old 09-14-2011, 09:16 AM

Ditto blue painters tape. Try a piece about 12"-15" long and keeping your quilt edge along it. Also try holding the quilt edges both before and after the needle - can't wander as easily. I hold my right hand on the part behind the needle and my left on the part in front of the needle
Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 AM

I use my #37 foot and a stack of tape at the seam edge as otherwise my seam will wiggle.

I watch the fabric in front of the foot rather than the needle.

cheers, K
Old 09-15-2011, 12:41 PM

Gee, I'm amazed at how many nice quilters there are out in this world and on this blog. Thank you all for the tips on how I can manage a straight seam. I have a Brother sewing machine (no fancy dancy for me) and yes, I do have a 1/4 presser foot. I'm going to use the sticky notes and also the tip to look ahead a couple of inches. Wish me luck and thank you so much for all the good advice.