Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you welcome the newcomers ? >

Do you welcome the newcomers ?

Do you welcome the newcomers ?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:58 PM

I would have done the same thing. Where do people get off thinking they are better than everyone else? That really torques me! You would think they would try to make the newbies welcome. Keep looking.....you'll find someplace you feel comfortable.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:59 PM

I haven't gone to our local quild yet and thats partially why I hear stories like this where they are cold or unfriendly. You would think if they want you to join their Guild to get new members in and more money they'd do the decent thing and interact with you. I'm always a bit shy when I first go to a new environment so some may think I'm not talkaive (boy are they wrong) but once I get to know a few people I open up more. I would send them an email telling them how you felt uninvited, and you won't be returning.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:07 PM
mim

When we wintered in Destin FL where a lot of midwest and Canadian snowbirds go, I put a note on the bulletin board inviting anyone to come to a quilters "gathering" for 2 hours on Wed afternoons. No agenda, no "belonging" -- just come -- the response was amazing -- all ages and skills and we worked on our own things or if someone had a skill they wanted to pass along, we had an impromptu class. So please, put a note on a board -- the store, the LQS church, etc. There are lots of warm quilters lurking who have been put off by quilt snobs

Mim
(quote=FroggyinTexas]
Originally Posted by KarenR
Makes me wonder if I want to be in a quild.

This type of group would not be for me. My question - how do you find a good guild?
You start your own group. Put an ad in the local paper, if you are on a social network, set up a meeting with whoever will come to the place you arrange to meet, put a notice in your church newsletter or on the bulletin board at work. It certainly won't hurt anything to see whether anyone is interested. Be willing to start with two or three and go from there. froggyintexas[/quote]
Old 09-15-2011, 05:09 PM

Your always welcome here I have found out, if your ever down by Jefferson City or Lake of the Qzarks you'll be welcome at my shop. I don't sell fabric I just make quilts and quilt tops for other people, just a granny shop. ButI have room for other people to sew should they want to.
I don't belong to a guild either as I'm an outsider in the area and was not treated so well when I first tried when I was learning to make quilts 27 yrs ago. So I taught myself.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:12 PM

It is so sad to hear of behavior like that... I'm truly sorry you had to experience that. It seems to be true for many individuals that the only person they really care about is themselves.... "It's all about me."

Please try to find a friendlier guild... hopefully not all are filled with selfish members like that one.

makes me sad for you and for our society... :-(
Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 PM

I never tried to join a guild but I have found that many LQS are also very "cliquey". If you aren't part of their elite group they aren't interested in you. Sure, they'll sell you fabric but they sure aren't helpful and don't invite you to classes, demos etc.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:32 PM

Ewe, don't think I want to go to one now. I can't stand rude people. I too would have left, but probably would have been rude myself and left before the break. hehe
Old 09-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Dee

I would of left also. Sounds like a gossip coffe meeting.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:27 PM

I also would have left. Some quilt guilds just seem to be that way..I visited 3, and the last one turned out to be awesome! So, I can say don't give up, and the right fit for you is out there...
From what you say, I don't think there is anything you could have done differently...good luck to you
Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn
I would have left not to return. That is the last experience I would want to be involved in. Sorry, keep trying and a nice group of ladies will turn up:)
Exactly my thoughts too!