Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 09-15-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ohtoquilt
Since I am a new quilter I have just been hearing about the Singer Featherweight machine. I have and love my Singer Stylist 533 which is 30 years old,but the Featherweight sounds like a very interesting machine. I wonder if I could get one born in 1949 since I am a 49er.
Yes I see 49ers on ebay all the time. If theres not one on there when you look just keep looking one will show up.
I have never paid over $250.00 for a featherweight 221 on ebay. I paid more for my 222 featherweight, but they are rare and people know it got mine from England because I could'nt afford one from the uS, It only cost me $100.00 with exchange to change it all ove to uS current.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 PM

I have two FW...a 1946 with some blackside parts and a 1955 221K with a blessedly non-stinky case. Both have all their attachments, manuals and sew like the little dreams they are. I paid $60 for the first one and $100 for the 221K.

I will never sell either one of them :).
Old 09-15-2011, 11:17 PM

Graciebelle update!!! My mechanic came yesterday and I was alittle nervous telling him I bought her on e-bay but he just said 'lets see'!! His eyes lit up when I took her out of the case!! He thought she had had little use,checked out all electrics... no problems there!!! Gave her a good clean, re-oiled, cleared the birdsnest from bobbin area put in new needle, threaded up, switched on........and..............WOW!!! She purrs like a pussy cat!!! He then asked how much I paid for her!!! When I told him £57 he said I'd got the bargain of the year!!! One of the best machines he'd seen for a long time!!!!!!!!!!!I'm one HAPPY girl!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Izy for finding her!!!!!!Just have to drop into his workshop this morning to get 4 new rubber feet for her and new 'shoes' for foot pedal and we are all set to go!!!!!!!!!!!Watch this space!! Can't wait to take her to my group on Monday!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-16-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Janis
suern3, I just know that you will love your featherweight. As for paying more, sometimes it means you get what you pay for, and getting the original things with it will warrant a higher price. The main thing is that it's what you wanted and you are comfortable with what you paid for it. With that said, you will find that it is a lot lighter than the 99, but I plan to use the 99 for my 'at home' machine, and the FW can travel with me some. I got a rolling tote for her at Michaels in the yarn department. It is just the right size to hold her and has a bunch of pockets too. I'd use it to travel and leave the case at home. It alone is a 'collector's item.' And the rolling tote is so easy to lift and move. I was amazed at how much the FW was than my newer machines that have all of the plastic. And you've got to admit it, it's a lot more fun! The attachments for each will fit both as they are both low shank, but they do have different bobbins.
My 1928 99 is in the greatest shape. The bentwood case has a few minor scratches on it, but the machine looks like it was never used. All of the decal work is there, and not worn.
My 1939 FW has a couple of places where the black isn't as dark as others, and in one place the decals are a bit lighter, but then too, that machine is 72 years old!!! Why shouldn't it show a little bit of wear??!!? I'd love to get a 1945 Featherweight, my birth year.
Janis, thanks for the encouraging words! My FW arrived this week and looks lovely. I can't believe how light it really is. Good idea about leaving the case home when we travel. The case is in very good shape for the age. I have a wheeled tote and I will use that. It does have the musty smell that seems to be a common problem so I am waiting for a sunny day to set it outside. That seemed to really help with my 99. Right now it has several dryer sheets in it.
Haven't had a chance to try out the stitches yet. I agree with you that we can expect a little bit of wear at that age, I know I certainly have some:) Good luck with finding your 1945, I'm sure you will.

:)
Old 09-16-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Janis
suern3, I just know that you will love your featherweight. As for paying more, sometimes it means you get what you pay for, and getting the original things with it will warrant a higher price. The main thing is that it's what you wanted and you are comfortable with what you paid for it. With that said, you will find that it is a lot lighter than the 99, but I plan to use the 99 for my 'at home' machine, and the FW can travel with me some. I got a rolling tote for her at Michaels in the yarn department. It is just the right size to hold her and has a bunch of pockets too. I'd use it to travel and leave the case at home. It alone is a 'collector's item.' And the rolling tote is so easy to lift and move. I was amazed at how much the FW was than my newer machines that have all of the plastic. And you've got to admit it, it's a lot more fun! The attachments for each will fit both as they are both low shank, but they do have different bobbins.
My 1928 99 is in the greatest shape. The bentwood case has a few minor scratches on it, but the machine looks like it was never used. All of the decal work is there, and not worn.
My 1939 FW has a couple of places where the black isn't as dark as others, and in one place the decals are a bit lighter, but then too, that machine is 72 years old!!! Why shouldn't it show a little bit of wear??!!? I'd love to get a 1945 Featherweight, my birth year.
Janis, thanks for the encouraging words! My FW arrived this week and looks lovely. I can't believe how light it really is. Good idea about leaving the case home when we travel. The case is in very good shape for the age. I have a wheeled tote and I will use that. It does have the musty smell that seems to be a common problem so I am waiting for a sunny day to set it outside. That seemed to really help with my 99. Right now it has several dryer sheets in it.
Haven't had a chance to try out the stitches yet. I agree with you that we can expect a little bit of wear at that age, I know I certainly have some:) Good luck with finding your 1945, I'm sure you will.

:)
Old 09-16-2011, 06:46 PM

I have a featherweight and I am just wondering how much oil is enough to be considered "oil her good"? Same question when greasing the gears? I had to pick the old grease out of the gears in the 221 and the 301 and then I was not sure how much to put back in? Any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:49 PM

I found my 1936 Featherweight at an auction last year. I tested her out and then sent her for service. Haven't used her since I got her back in July. I initially planned to use her for classes, but I haven't had any luck finding a class that fits my schedule so she hasn't been really used yet. I am actually considering selling her.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:40 PM

Well, I finally got to make something with my little Featherweight. This time when we came up to our youngest daughter's home in the Chicago,IL area, I brought her with me and today I finally had a chance to use her. I made a 'machine organizer,' the kind that goes under and in front of the machine. I used the pattern for one for a serger and it was just the right size for a Featherweight. I used my cute little walkingfoot that I bought for her to sew it all together. With the double pockets on the front, there were 2 layers of batting, and 6 layers of the cotton fabric to go through!!! She worked like a little trooper and went through it just fine. I got done just in time for the 2 1/2 year old twins and their two older siblings to converge in on me!!
I then had to show the oldest two how my little machine sews, and of course Nicholas,7, had to run the foot petal...
...And then he wanted to see what the seam ripper does. I gave him my little scrap that I used to set the tension on my machine, and he ripped out all of the sewing on it. Anyone need someone to seam rip for them???
I just love my little FW and will have a lot of fun using her.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:05 PM

Janis, I knew you'd love your lil FW when you got to using her. So where's the pic of the project???
Old 09-17-2011, 06:29 PM

Sorry, I can't do pictures. I can't find the cord that hooks my camera to the computer, and at home I'm on 'dial-up' so I don't even know how to do it. I can give the pattern no. if some one wants to see it.
I got a quilt cake for my birthday. My daughter ordered a cake and they did a quilt pattern on it in fondant. We did take pictures, and maybe when mu daughter gets home from her conference on Sun, I can have her post it for me. She can do that kind of thing.
Maybe if she's not too busy, I can take a picture of it and have her post it too. We'll see... Tomorrow I'll take a picture of my little Featherweight with it and see if she can post it for me.