Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!! >

Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:41 PM

I placed a bookcase headboard atop a matching chest of drawers. Stack my stash in the open space, and it's high enough for fabric still on the bolt; spools of ribbon, flower trims, etc. behind the sliding doors.

Also use my cone thread holder while I'm quilting. Hang it on the arm of my movable light; put my quilting thread spool on the spindle and thread it down through the hole in the bottom. It hangs over the quilt and is always ready to cut off a new length.

I use eyeglass cases to protect my rotary cutters.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by skydiver70
Originally Posted by oksewglad
Originally Posted by QuiltE
Cow Magnets

.... I have one in the bottom of each of my pin dishes/trays. I just have to toss a pin in the direction and it gets pulled into the dish instead of bouncing off and onto the floor.
Yeah but do others know what cow magnets are and why dairy farmers use them. So will send these images. GKids love playing with them. Spend endless hours looking for metal to attach to them.

But be sure the magnets don't get near your computerized machines. They can wreck havoc on the machines. Also, never get them near your computers. My computer teacher in college told us about the magnets. They will erase things.
Any magnet laid on a closed computer, any electronic tablet, anything electronic or phone, will mess up the screen.
Do not bundle any magnetic pinholders with any elctronics, when you are carrying them to a workshop because you can wreck the electronics!
A few minutes exposiure to a magnet can kill an e-thing dead!
It is better to take a poke-em-in-it old fashioned pincushion, than risk damage to your own or somebody elses e=stuff.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:17 AM

Ok, I'll ask! What do dairy farmers use them for?
Old 09-17-2011, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Originally Posted by skydiver70
Originally Posted by oksewglad
Originally Posted by QuiltE
Cow Magnets

.... I have one in the bottom of each of my pin dishes/trays. I just have to toss a pin in the direction and it gets pulled into the dish instead of bouncing off and onto the floor.
Yeah but do others know what cow magnets are and why dairy farmers use them. So will send these images. GKids love playing with them. Spend endless hours looking for metal to attach to them.

But be sure the magnets don't get near your computerized machines. They can wreck havoc on the machines. Also, never get them near your computers. My computer teacher in college told us about the magnets. They will erase things.
Any magnet laid on a closed computer, any electronic tablet, anything electronic or phone, will mess up the screen.
Do not bundle any magnetic pinholders with any elctronics, when you are carrying them to a workshop because you can wreck the electronics!
A few minutes exposiure to a magnet can kill an e-thing dead!
It is better to take a poke-em-in-it old fashioned pincushion, than risk damage to your own or somebody elses e=stuff.
Not to worry ... I know the cautions and practice them!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rann
I use the Parmesan Cheese containers from SAm's to hold smaller spools of thread and the animal cracker ones to hold large spools--after washing of course.
I use the Parmeasan Cheese containers for holding the large binder clips that I use for clamping the backing fabric down to the table for basting quilts. I guess that's 2 things I re-purposed. :-D
Old 09-17-2011, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MrsWiggs
Ok, I'll ask! What do dairy farmers use them for?
Because you asked so nicely, I won't give you the old "put the cow on the frig" answer! :lol:

First of all, it's not just for dairy cows, but also for beef as a cow might ingest something metallic and that would not be good for the cow. Eg. broken fence wire, dropped nail/screw, etc.

The magnet goes into the first part of the stomach (the cow has four parts) and it just stays there, to collect any metals that she might eat. Many farms will do it as a routine practice, such as at the time of the first breeding. Some will only insert it, when they think the cow has a problem, but that's often too late, as by then there's probably signs of infection, which may be beyond resolution.

A compass can be placed on the side of the stomach to check if the cow has one inside of her already.

So now, you can all have fun sharing this tidbit brought to you by your Quilting Board Dairy Farmers ... including OKSewGlad, QuiltE and ???? :)
Old 09-17-2011, 05:41 AM

posting deleted by author
Old 09-17-2011, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend
posting deleted by author
???
Old 09-17-2011, 06:29 AM

I use shoeboxes to separate different pieces when making a complicated quilt -- children's little shoeboxes are great. When I baste a quilt myself, I use the clips that hold plastic picnic table cloths down -- helps to keep the quilt flat on the table.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:32 AM

Painters tape for cross hatch quilting on small projects.