Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas gifts? >

Christmas gifts?

Christmas gifts?

Old 09-17-2011, 07:11 PM

I do not know what oven dresses are but I got a new idea for a gift from my grandson. He said "Nona, I need a camping blanket". So all 6 of my grandchildren are getting camping blankets. The focus fabric for the boys will be camoflauge (mint green and brown) the girls will be pink and brown camo. The backing will be flannel. The whole family is getting camping theme gifts. That will be fun. Some home made and some purchased.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
I have made and given most of what has been said already BUT I am retired and get together regularly with 10 girlfriends from grade school. We always have lunch and them decide on our next luncheon date so I bought those pocket calendars ($1.00 ea) and made a quilted cover with their monogram on it for each one of them. I wrapped it in tissue and slipped it into a padded envelope with a note on Christmas paper telling them how much it meant to me that we still get together and have remained true friends all these years. They got this instead of a Christmas card and everyone loved it. Now when we make our next date, everyone takes theirs out of their purse and marks it down. We don't have to go home and check our calendars.

This was a very inexpensive gift, but I hear about how much it is appreciated every time we get together!

P.S. When the calendar expires all they need to do is buy the current year calendar for only $1.00 and slip it in the cover. They are all the same size. I even get FREE ones from different charities I have donated to.

4 of us do the same. I've not decided what to give them yet----------I like your idea!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:13 PM

It's not cheap, in this country, to make Christmas gifts at $26 per metre and $14.50 for a reel of thread...I prefer made gifts for myself.The fellows have all told me that they want an elegant tie.I intend to make heavily textured material by embroidering geometric patterns onto the same coloured material (by machine,of course) and then making the tie.That way,I think the tie will be unusual and still masculine and acceptable for special occasions.
I will be making fleecy jumpers for the little boys.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:19 PM

Oven dresses are kitchen towels that are made to look like little dresses and hang on the handle of your oven.
Thanks for all the great gift ideas, keep 'em coming!!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:56 PM

Rolly Nesters can be found: http://www.studiokatdesigns.com

There are other fun and free patterns on this site.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:06 PM

At Wal Mart you can buy heavy twill aprons (man size) in different colors for about $7. I added large pockets out of licensed fabric featuring my son's favorite football team and also machine embroidered "Go, Hogs" on the bib. (Razorbacks, doncha know!) I have also monogrammed men's handerchiefs and made shoulder covers for suits and coats out of masculine fabrics. I liked the idea for travel bags for shoes, etc. This year I want to make one of those TV remote holders for my hubby's recliner.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:19 PM

What is a microwave thingie dingy and snap bags?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:43 PM

If you google oven dresses, that will give you a few sights for them. I do make mine a little different than they do, but it is basically the same thing. The top of mine are what is different.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Dee

Homemade gifts are made by me each year.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Banned

Hand made gifts are made from the heart, and are greatly loved, and if they are not then the person you made a gift for and they did not like it, then don't do that for them again.
Years ago, I made every one a wicker basket with wash clothes in them, and the basket had lace and flowers on them.
My mother in-law just did no like anything I made her, so I finely learned not to make her any thing. but my Aunt still uses hers, and that just amazes me, because I made thous when the children were little, so I will always make something for her and my children, because I no they will love any thing I have made.
GOD bless