An unwelcome Visitor

Old 09-18-2011, 05:58 AM

I get calls on the phone that tell me I have won a coupon for 500 dollars for groceries put I have to pay the shipping and handeling, $4.99. Then they ask for my credit card number. They said this card was from Wal-Mart. I tell them to send me the card and a bill and I will gladly write them a check and send it back!!! SCAM I guess !!!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:08 AM

Right, like anyone is going to give their CC number to a stranger who calls up on the phone!!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:09 AM

This is how the magazine salespeople work. One person in a van or SUV drops them off and they go door to door. This has been going on for over 25 years that I know of. My younger brother told me he had this great job offer etc etc etc. When I found out that he was selling magazines door to door, I told him that they usually take these kids (young people) out of state and put them into motels. The kids have to pay for their meals and motels out of the money they earn. He called and asked the right questions and did not go with them. These kids are desperate for jobs and are willing to walk miles each day. I had a young girl come up to my home about 3 weeks ago and the temps were 100 degrees. I asked her if she wanted a bottle of water. She said she was trying to get money for college. I feel sorry for them, being dumped off and working for hours in really bad weather.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:31 AM

Because of the times we live in, I have posted a note above my doorbell which reads:

If I am not expecting your visit, I will not open the door.

Sure takes care of those unwanted sales persons.

June in Cincinnati
Old 09-18-2011, 06:41 AM

Please, Please, Please don't ever open your door to a stranger. I don't care how many dogs, guns and or sprays you have. Why would you put yourself in the position of needing to use them if you don't have to? I worry that people get a false sense of security with this stuff and then get in really big trouble when the bad guy gets in before you even know he's a bad guy. Unless you go shooting and practicing how to shoot in stressful situations your gun is just a weapon the other guy didn't have until you gave it to him. Shooting at a paper target in a controlled environment is sooo completely different from shooting a person who is trying to hurt you. I am a big supporter of gun rights and have a concealed carry license myself so I'm not trying to talk people out of having a gun for protection. I just want to make sure you don't get this sense of power and invulnerability from having it. You are still a (generally) smaller, weaker, slower person who is not expecting an attack. So many points against you. Why would you even open the door to give them an in? I always just wave them away at the window and then I move to where they can't see me so that they don't stand there and try and engage me in conversation. I don't know this person, my door is posted with no soliciting, I am at a disadvantage strength wise...I don't owe them any common decency or manners as far as I am concerned.

Wow! I think I'll step down off my soap box now and go do some sewing to calm down. Apparently this is a hot topic for me :oops:

Julie
Old 09-18-2011, 06:45 AM

I have to wade thru four dachshunds who think THEY should answer the door, and make a lot of noise voicing that opinion as I stroll to the door from the family room in the back of the house, where I usually hang out. Once I get there, I yell, OK, I WILL GET THE DOOR, THANK YOU. Lol, if there is still anyone there, we have three hook and latches on the screen door, which keeps people from opening it. If they try, then the door will be answered with a .38 in my hand. I consider that behaviour just plain rude.

Trust me, word gets around about which houses aren't worth the effort, lol. And where the crazy lady lives.

There have been a couple of incidents around here, a few years ago, where I came running out the front door, and my husband came running out the back, both of us armed, and not hiding it. We ran across the neighbors lawn and around the back of their house, calling out to each other. THey had already been broken into and robbed once, and we had this notion that they would NOT appreciate it again. We called the police to come out AFTER the burglers decided not to try it. It takes 20 minutes for them to get out here. Not one of our neighbors would even think of calling the police, sheriff, you name it, if they saw us strolling up the street decked out like Dirty Harry. We are more protection than the sheriff, lol.

Sure is quiet around here these days. :
Old 09-18-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by drw1mjw2
I believe in the right to own guns. I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I recently traveled thru Ill, and frankly resented having to lock my guns up. I have a gun permit that is accepted by every other state I went thru.

I lived in Missouri until 1993.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:55 AM

We had a rash of those guys in Toledo last fall and some one was able to discribe the injuries her 10 yr old Sheltie gave the back door guy-they were arrested at the hospital.Don't under estimate little dogs-they have big attitudes
Old 09-18-2011, 06:56 AM

I'm glad you called the police. I had this happen a few years ago. My question to him was: Have you registered with the police department?? He left very quickly.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:10 AM

In my borough solicitors need a license from the police. If they don't have that pinned to the front of their shirt, I tell them to go to the police or shall I call them.

No problems so far!