Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4" Shrinkage After Starching!!! >

1/4" Shrinkage After Starching!!!

1/4" Shrinkage After Starching!!!

Old 09-18-2011, 10:33 AM

I use spray sizing instead of starch and haven't had a problem. I do prewash almost everything though. The spray starch got flaky when I ironed the fabric. Do you use liq. or spray starch?
Old 09-18-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Originally Posted by RST
What kind of fabrics was it? I've had that happen with solid cottons -- I think they were quilter's candy-- from Connecting Threads. It's ok fabric for the price, but you really don't want to go pressing with steam until it's been quilted, or significant shrinkage occurs. I was lucky that I had my shrinking moments before I cut, but it was still alarming to actually see the fabric drawing up smaller.

Cutting that many pieces makes me wonder (just a wonder, not a criticism) why the class is not making this an opportunity to learn about strip piecing as a means of avoiding having to cut so many small individual pieces?

RST

RST
There's more cutting at the class!!! New York Beauty Block.
:shock:
Paper pieced? You might be just fine!
Old 09-18-2011, 01:20 PM

I feel your pain! Just this year I learned that I had better pre-wash fabrics both to avoid shrinkage AND bleeding of colors.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:36 PM

[quote=KrystynaThe math is a little complicated to follow but here goes
468 actual pieces
Plus Stressful Shrinkage Factor
Times emotional turmoil
Equals 196,000[/quote]

Odds are you won't make a whole quilt in class. Why not just cut half of the pieces you need for the top. That should be plenty.

I had a similar issue many years ago when I ironed instead of pressed 280 diamonds for this Star of Bethlehem. I stretched them into different shapes than they needed to be. I had to re-cut and I had to re-think and re-buy as well, because I didn't have enough of some of the fabrics. I never forgot the lesson.

We live and learn. Sometimes it's painful. Aarrgggh! But you'll be just fine. And so will your quilt! Please show us when you're done.

Tamara's star quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]258787[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-258734.jpe
Views:	49
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	258787  
Old 09-18-2011, 03:31 PM

Oh Krystyna, I'm soooo sorry to here this. I had read about how excited you were about the class. What did you do? Did you have more fabric or did you have to buy more? Are you enjoying the class?
With the only quilt that I have been commissioned to do the solid brown shrunk every time I touched it with the iron!!!! It was a nightmare!! We are all there with you!!!! I now prewash everything!
Old 09-18-2011, 03:58 PM

OMG!! I don't think I would starch unwashed fabric - even if it's against the directions!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:06 PM

Oh, I'm sorry this happened to you, Krystyna. As others have said, lessons learned just add to our experience. I appreciate this board so much, because I have learned from everyone's experience (and from my own lessons learned!).
Old 09-18-2011, 06:49 PM

[quote=Krystyna]I am having heart failure. I'm taking a class tomorrow and have to pre-cut a zillion pieces. I cut my strips before cutting the small pieces, starched the strips and ironed and EEEKKKK!!! They shrank by 1/4" I am ready to give up!

Did not pre-wash, but did cut 8" wide strips and then starched and ironed as directed before cutting smaller pieces. What a nightmare.[/quote

So very sorry Krystyna....... hope it all works out for you .....
Old 09-18-2011, 07:36 PM

The shrinkage is not due to startch but to the moisture of the startch and the heat of the iron
Old 09-18-2011, 08:16 PM

I always prewash and I use liquid starch. After I wash and rinse, I will put enough water in the washer and a quart of liquid starch. Swish with my hands and the spin dry. After taking the fabric out of the dryer when dry, I use a steam iron and the fabric feels like it has never been washed and the wrinkles disappear. At $3 for a jug at Wal-Mart, it's cheaper than Best Press.