Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help enlarging my pattern >

Need help enlarging my pattern

Need help enlarging my pattern

Old 09-18-2011, 11:16 AM

Thank you so much for provided that chart. I have saved it for future reference.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:31 PM

When you enlarge your pattern, double check to make sure all your pieces will work together, BEFORE you make a complete set. I paid $11.00 to do mine and found they were not true...it was a waste of fabric as well as money.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:43 PM

my tool says from a 4 1/2 to a 12 enlarge by 270% on printer. they have a wheel that you just line up the beginning size to finished size to enlarge or reduce. i got mine at hobby lobby and love it as my math is not my strong point. not expensive and one of my best tool buys. or did i mis understand your question?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:06 PM

I copied this from the Internet about enlarging.

Concerning making pictures or patterns larger and then printing them easily. I often need to do this. For example, when recreating a picture in appliqué using my Repliqué technique, an enlargement of a photograph is needed to make the pattern. Another instance where this is necessary is when I draft Mariner’s Compass patterns using my paper folding techniques. Sometimes I draft them the size of a sheet of paper and then need to make them bigger (for descriptions of both of these techniques, scroll down to the Architectural Repliqué and Mariner’s Compass Simplified descriptions on my website athttp://www.chrisquilts.net/lectures_and_workshops.htm). You can probably think of instances in your quilt life when this would be helpful too.
In the past I’ve enlarged pictures at my local print shop; and I’ve made patterns bigger with the help of an overhead projector. Since the enlargements cost money and the overhead has to be used while I’m at work, neither is a particularly convenient option.
A while back I read an article in The Quilt Life magazine which recommended doing these enlargements using Microsoft Excel, along with a home computer and printer. It really works, so I just have to share! Here’s the step by steps:
1. Open Microsoft Excel
2. In the File Menu select Page Set Up; select Margins; set footer and header to “O” and set the margins to .5 on all 4 sides; select “OK“
3. In the View Menu select Zoom; change the magnification to 25%; select “OK“
4. In the Insert Menu select Picture; select From File and then find the drawing or picture you want to enlarge from your computer, click on it and then select Insert
5. Your picture/drawing will now be in the upper left corner of the Excel document. Click on it and then place your cursor on the bottom right corner square; click and drag your picture/drawing to the desired size. Each rectangle in the Excel program represents an 8 1/2″ x 11″ sheet of paper and when you press “print” it does …… and all the sheets fit together!
If you’re printing a photo onto printer fabric, the margins we left will provide enough space around each portion for seam allowance.
If you’re printing a drawing or pattern, the margins can be overlapped when the parts are taped together.
I hope this is helpful. If it seemed a bit confusing, open Excel and give it a whirl. You may be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:53 AM

Try placing your pattern on your copier to enlarge it. You will probably get the majority of the pattern and then just add the extra 1 1/2 inches when you cut it out.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:06 AM

Thank you to everyone who provided links and hints on enlarging patterns. I have them in my DLS/Q notebook (Dirty Little Secrets of Quilting).
Old 09-19-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
This was sent to me last week when I asked a similar question, though mine was a much simpler pattern . http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/
Hi! I am unable to get the link to work, is anyone else having that problem?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by skjquiltnut
Originally Posted by irishrose
This was sent to me last week when I asked a similar question, though mine was a much simpler pattern . http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/
Hi! I am unable to get the link to work, is anyone else having that problem?
Worked fine for me.
And it's a nifty little FREE software program.
I was going to go to Kinko's to blow up something but I'm going to use this instead.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by sewhappy30
I have a few patterns mostly paper piecing, some regular piecing that are 5" unfinished ...4 1/2" finished. I would like to make these 12 1/2" unfinished...12" finished. I have a chart but it does not have 1/2" sizes. Can anyone tell me how much to enlarge this to make it 12 1/2" unfinished? Thanks!!
This doesn't really answer your question but I looked at the sentimental stitches quilt. You could go to your library and find books about quilt patterns, choose the ones you like and make your own original sampler quilt. All our libraries have copy machines so you wouldn't have to check out stacks of books, just copy the patterns there. The only thing to watch out for is any distortion of the pattern when copied--make sure they're on the square. This would save a lot of drafting time.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:44 PM

PosteRazor is a free software that will enlarge it for you, save it as a pdf and then you can print it out and tape the tiled pieces together. Works beautifully and is free... free is always good.