Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 09-19-2011, 05:28 AM

Hey Janis thanks so much for reposting this for us. It is really cool. I for one missed it the first time.
;-)
Old 09-19-2011, 07:29 AM

I thought that some of the new owners of Featherweights would like this too. I am planning on making the tote, but to use mostly as a cover for my machine. That was my next project, and I was thinking I'd have to make my own pattern for it, and now I don't!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:32 AM

I am down to 5 featherweights. I got on a kick and bought them. My main one is out all the time and goes on trips. The other 4 are on display on a shelf in my quilt room. They are just so darn cute.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Janis
quiltjoey, You have a beautiful machine there too. What is her name? When was she made? She also looks like new! I like you avitar picture. Can you tell us about that machine too?
Ditto :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-19-2011, 02:53 PM

I really need to get mine out and sew with her some more everytime I take her out of the house she misbehaves think we just need some bonding time she really does sew like a dream when home ....it also could be unfamiliarity of her workings :roll:
Old 09-19-2011, 05:33 PM

quiltjoey, you're machine is a beauty. It looks like the centennial (1951)?? That's the year I wanted (my birthday), but had a hard time finding one reasonable and nice.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:26 PM

Thank you for your kind remarks! The FW was born in 1959 and I call her Sweet Pea. She is in really fine condition. I bid on her on eBay late one night (about 1-2 AM) and didn't think I had a chance to get her because I had always been out bid before on the FW's on eBay. They usually go for about $400 or more in fine condition. My bid was $199 and that's was all I could spend. However, I was the only bidder and won! Wasn't that a treat!! I didn't realize I had won til the next day checking my emails.
The machine in my avatar is the Spartan that I paid $20 for.
I also have a green Singer 185 with green cord and foot pedal that I paid $20 for at a Pawn shop, and another Spartan that needs work, a Singer Centennial that cost me $70 that works fine. I have a Kenmore I bought new in the late 80's; a Viking Designer 1 and 2 sergers! I am looking for a Singer treadle to finish (if possible) my collection of machines. My husband asked me why I want another machine and I told him, "I just need it!" That's what my DGD used to tell him when she wanted another "My Little Pony" which she would get. I figured if it worked for her, it would work for me!!

quiltjoey, You have a beautiful machine there too. What is her name? When was she made? She also looks like new! I like you avitar picture. Can you tell us about that machine too?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:30 PM

Thanks, Janis. I have the Spartans and a Centennial, and a 99 I can use that tote for!!

I've been going over older postings, trying to catch up and saw this and thought I'd share it with FW owners. Not too many replied on it, so I'm thinking that others didn't see it either. It is a tote for the Featherweight and also a bag for the foot petal.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-151928-1.htm#4240414
Old 09-19-2011, 08:16 PM

I think you'll need to make the tote a little larger for the 99. I am also wanting to make a cover for my 99. They are 3/4 size, and I think the FW are 1/2 size. I don't know what size the other machines will need, but it will be a good pattern to start with for all of them.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:19 PM

I just obtained my third FW Saturday. I traded a handquilted Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt for her. She's very clean and sews like a dream. She has attachments, an original manual and a new case. Believe she's a 1951. My other black FW is a 1958-the yr I graduated from High School. I have had her for about ten years-she is a workhorse and has sewn miles for me. My third FW is a little white-celery colered girl-probably mid-fifties. She, too, goes like a champ and has a fine case. All three are called my babies but, then, so is my 13 year male Shih Zsu! All of my FW's will go to guild sewing with me twice a week in case somebody needs to use a sewing machine. Now I have my eye out for a black 301.