Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with decision please >

help with decision please

help with decision please

Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 PM

WoW! I like the "white" one. I have one like it, and it is actually called "celery." It is a very light green that looks almost white. I think they are more rare. The black one seems to have lots of attachments, but I would still choose the 1st one.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:18 PM

I received one of the white ones for my highschool graduation in 1967. My mother paid $100. To me the white one is newer and just a white one and more money than it is worth. It is my understanding the black one is a better catch for quality, dependability, cost and more of an antique. Go for the black for all those reasons.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:20 PM

Mine is actually celery too. For the green (white) one, there should be an attachment case that comes with it. YIKES the price!!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:29 PM

Gosh I can't believe how much the price of these have gone up since I got mine on eBay!

I like the black centennial one but I understand the white ones are more rare. Even so I'd go with the black one.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 AM

Why is the selection limited to just those two? Have you been looking for an antique Singer? Who picked them out, you or your brother? If your brother, is he savvy about sewing machines? Is there anywhere you could actually try out a similar make and model? You'll be sewing on it a long time. Perhaps you'd like to road test it first.

Or are you just looking for a Featherweight? What qualities in a sewing machine are the most important to you? I assume you want to sew with it and not just use it for decoration. Think hard on this one. Write down everything you want in a machine, and I mean everything. It's OK if being an antique is one of those things. Then go out and take a look at the new Featherweights. Compare the features you will get in a new, or nearly new one, to the antique model. Consider whether a newer one might be easier to have serviced, or whether parts would be easier to come by. That's important. If I lived in my home town where I grew up, I'd have no qualms about getting an antique machine because they have more than one antique sewing machine shop, and carry the supplies. Where I live now, I scoured the place and the quilt shops have told me there is no where to get an antique serviced, and I'd have to get parts (needles, bobbins, pressing feet) on line. That makes a huge difference to me. Road test various machines. This is an important purchase. You want to get it right.

If you find a machine you fall in love with, that you've researched and road tested, and know where you can get it serviced and where you can get necessary accessories, then it's time for a chat with your brother. He certainly sounds generous
and I'm sure he would want you to have the machine you're most comfortable operating.

Just please, don't get "star struck" by these very beautiful antique machines. Just like any other machine, they can be great, or they can be a lemon. Please, try out other potential machines before you just "too quick" make an emotional decision between these two. It's just too important a decision.

Whatever you get, I hope you love it, and it's perfect!

Warmest Regards,
Old 09-20-2011, 11:20 AM

I think I would go with the black one. Does you brother need another sister?
Old 09-20-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

Great brother you have there!! Does he need another sister???? :lol: ;)
lol, no think the two he has is enough
Old 09-20-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo
Originally Posted by bloomin'Iris
My darling brother is giving me a choice of two, which would you choose?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150655210247?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_500wt_967
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150663949269?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_500wt_967
Oh I'd get the black one they are so much better than the white ones, I have 5 white ones and 4 black ones, hands down the black ones are the best. I bought the white ones before I knew, and I wanted 3 for my Great Nieces and 1 for my GD. I have one for myself but love my lil black beauties best.
Plus the black one is a centennial......the case has it's key and is in great shape and you get the attachments...... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Everything looks good with the white one I guess it should just be what you like best.
I agree with your info on the black, it was my first pick
Old 09-20-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
Can I borrow your brother for my birthday? I have 5 brothers and none of them would do something like this!

I'm not complaining, though, because they are there when I NEED them.
when's your birthday? I'll see if he's busy :D :D
Old 09-20-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
love them both but they are a little high in price i have seen them for less try shopgoodwill.com
I've been watching for sometime now. The one's from goodwill never seem to come this complete, or they have been so far away, shipping such an item really scares me. Not to sure they would pack it all that great