Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spending foolishly at the quilt show >

Spending foolishly at the quilt show

Spending foolishly at the quilt show

Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 AM

WellI hit Quilt Fest 2 times a year Cinnci and Houston. I do have a list of things I can't find local and get deals on sm feet thread and stablizer! I have a rule too...better buy it when you love it or it will be gone when you go back to you will not be able to find where it was!!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:23 AM

I'm usually on a tight budget most of the time and have to limit my fabric/pattern addiction, so when I know that I am going to a quilt show (such as the Pacific International Quilt Festival next month) I start saving months in advance so that I can shop to my hearts content, and since I saved for several months I know that I'm not sacrificing paying my bills or having gas to get to work, etc. And, I can only go to 1 or 2 quilt shows in a year; I mean, what's the point in going if you can't shop? for me, that's the best part about going to a show.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Can understand your problem. This year I have been saving as much as possible since i will be going to the international show in Houston. Cooking has been slim at our house so I can have the extra grocery money!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Well, I bet we all have our "foolish" days, but to me buying fabric is half the fun of a quilt show, other than the quilts of course. However, I remember one year I went to two different quilt shows, not the same weekend, but I scoured all the booths looking for cat fabric, I was obsessed with finding cat fabric. I hadn't spent money on fabric in a long time, so I went a little (?) crazy, came home with fat quarters, half yards, full yards, panels, the "X" tool (which I have yet to use, but I just found it last week - we moved a year ago), and I even bought a quilt kit, something I had never done before. Have I used it all - no, but I have a 16 month old granddaughter and I know I'll use a lot in an I spy quilt for her, as well as linings for purses and totes. I'll use it eventually, and there's always the Christmas projects with the Christmas cat fabric. I'm addicted to fabric, what can I say, but I'm glad I have it now as I don't have the money to splurge like that now.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:20 PM

Quiltmom- great twister quilt! Thanks for posting it.

I've cut back a bit. We are downsizing - homes and jobs- in about 5 years. I keep hearing about that from my beloved and that sure helps me reconsider many purchases. But, truthfully, I don't have many wants when it comes to supplies. I do give in from time to time. It will all get used. (Someone told me this at the Keepsake Quilting Tent Sale this summer). :)Of course, it might not be all used by me.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

You and I must have been on the same binge. Make yourself feel better, learn some new techniques and use those rulers on reducing your stash. That way you will save in the end right? Did you have fun though? Next time leave the credit card at home and only take a set amount of cash.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I always tell folks, walk it three times..makes notes of the booth you saw it in, and what it was and the price...then sit down, do some math...and THEN...to avoid buyer's remorse...go to the booth ALONE so there is NO peer pressure..remember your friends really do like to spend YOUR money..heheheh

Or don't bring your DH and teen daughter who both know my weakness and want me to be happy. The good part is I don't spend it anywhere else. So as long as I do not go to shows too often I am pretty safe.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:32 PM

I'm very bad but I don't believe I have to use everything I buy.......I collect it!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I'm going to a guild quilt show next week. I know I'll be spending foolishly and loving every minute of it. !
Old 09-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

[quote=grann of 6]
Originally Posted by CAJAMK
I bought 2 books, one on Bargello, and one on appliqueeing large dogs. Now I do have large dogs, but I HATE doing applique. How dumb is that?

I did the same in January at the Road to California quilt show except it was a pattern and kit for an Eagle. Why did I buy all the fabric with it? I already own enough batiks. I don't do applique and I do not do wall hangins. I guess it is time to get out of my comfort zone.