Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Total despair....have had enough >

Total despair....have had enough

Total despair....have had enough

Old 09-21-2011, 11:30 AM

Try replacing your needle.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 AM

It sounds like you have threads that are caught in the bottom by the bobbin...if you take off the metal plate...and look under there...I bet you have some threads and well as dust bunnies living under there...I suse a bottle of compressed air and a small paint bruch to clean it out...
Old 09-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by maurie
Try replacing your needle.
Tried lots of needles...different makes...different sizes...different uses...nothing worked.

Feed dogs up....magic...lovely even FMQ !
Old 09-21-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by SEGASAL
It sounds like you have threads that are caught in the bottom by the bobbin...if you take off the metal plate...and look under there...I bet you have some threads and well as dust bunnies living under there...I suse a bottle of compressed air and a small paint bruch to clean it out...
Clean within an inch of its life numerous times...no improvements but for whatever reason feed dogs up has sorted the problem
Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 AM

I usually FMQ with my feed dogs up. :)

I'm so glad that you figured it out!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy1
Again someone's problem brings new knowledge to the table. I read all the comments and having the feed dogs up was wow new to me. I will have to try it next time. You guys are such problem solvers and enlighteners for so many.
Big Big DITTO :thumbup:
Old 09-21-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Little RoO
Oh my goodness....Anna quilts....I have just raised the feed dogs and guess what perfect stitches again and again.....I don't understand why it makes such a difference but I think you might have just saved my sanity.
It is 11.30pm here in the UK and I haven't managed to get it sew properly since 7pm....had tried everything, cleaning...new needle...new bobbin...different threads but never thought to raise the feed....as I said have just tried it and like magic... perfect tension......thank you, thank you, thank you.
I did a workshop on FMQ with a well-known tutor at the Festival of Quilts and she wispered to me to try doing at home with the feed dogs UP!!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Sorry you are having problems!
When you said "Feet Down" i'm guessing that's feed dogs down. Also you said it happens when you move to another area. So you are actually lifting the needle & presser foot to shift the fabric. Are you sure that you are lowering the presser foot when you get to the new area? The loops on the bottom are the classic symptom of no tension on the top thread, and the way the tension is applied is when you lower the presser foot.
Maybe someone else will have other suggestions.
I have also forgot to put the presser foot down and got the result she mentioned... just a mess of thread in the back. Such a simple thing but when you move to a different spot sometimes you just forget and start up again without putting it back down.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:44 PM

This board is really great....I am so glad your machine is now working for you....please post a picture of your fmq work ,,,,hugs yetta
Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Little RoO
I really can't thank everyone enough for all the help I have had on this.
I am fairly new to FMQ but have FMQ a couple of quilts using my basic Pfaff so just couldn't understand where I was going wrong but last night I had just about had enough.
Then on the advice of Annaquilts I put the dog feeds up and it is now totally fine....every time...I cannot believe it...and am so delighted.
This board is such a wonderful support ....you have all certainly saved my sanity this week ! Thank you again
I very nearly gave up quilting, over 6 years ago, through a bad teacher and then I found the Internet and Kaye Woods Forum now I am a totally addicted quilting addict because of the long distance generous help I got, and I am right chuffed about that cos I am a quilting addict.

I am so pleased that you found an answer here, remember if you don't ask a question you will never get the answer!