Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed at Joann's >

Disappointed at Joann's

Disappointed at Joann's

Old 09-20-2011, 06:56 PM

I also find the fabrics at Joanns is thinner than before. Glad it wasn't just me.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 PM

as much as i dislike (okay - more than dislike) joann's, i was in there with a coupon last week and found something i never saw there before. there was a 10-yard bolt of muslin, 58/60" wide for $49.00. the quality is pretty good. you had to take the whole bolt. so with the 50% coupon it was $25.00 for 10 yards of 58" decent muslin. and on that wednesday, i got a senior discount (how did they know?)

the label says " Roc-lon Rockland Industries Presents
Muslin by the Bolt
59/60" Muslin
Country of origin Pakistan

there was an entire display of this and other bolts of cheaply priced Pellon interfacings. if you don't see it there, ask for it.

it says to wash in cold water (sure!) and line dry (ha!) whatever shrinking this baby does is happening before it ever sees a cutting matt.

edit to say: they had bleached and unbleached.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG
Originally Posted by lots2do
I just used three coupons after work. Didn't buy really expensive items but bought items I needed and it helped. I love to use Sugar and Cream cotton yarn for washcloths and the price has gone up again. Nice to use a coupon to get it. (That's my latest addiction or therapy, depending on how you look at it, knitting washcloths).
I double it and knit potholders! That stuff washes so well!
Great stuff, isn't it? I love the different variegated colors they have. They have a really big skein now, Bernat, 600 yards but it's not a great savings over the little balls and I think I'd get bored of the same colors if I bought it.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
as much as i dislike (okay - more than dislike) joann's, i was in there with a coupon last week and found something i never saw there before. there was a 10-yard bolt of muslin, 58/60" wide for $49.00. the quality is pretty good. you had to take the whole bolt. so with the 50% coupon it was $25.00 for 10 yards of 58" decent muslin. and on that wednesday, i got a senior discount (how did they know?)

the label says " Roc-lon Rockland Industries Presents
Muslin by the Bolt
59/60" Muslin
Country of origin Pakistan

there was an entire display of this and other bolts of cheaply priced Pellon interfacings. if you don't see it there, ask for it.

it says to wash in cold water (sure!) and line dry (ha!) whatever shrinking this baby does is happening before it ever sees a cutting matt.

edit to say: they had bleached and unbleached.
I've bought this by the yard at WalMart. It's what I use when I make my crayon self portraits with my students at school.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:32 AM

i just washed a 1-yd piece as a test and it did shrink as i expected it to. on the yard, i lost a bit over 1.5" in length. the threads pulled in tighter causing that shrinkage, which is fine with me. i like the better quality it produces. all in all, i think $2.50 a yard minus senior discount and no shipping was well spent. i'll lose about 15" on 10 yards. my senior discount covers most of that.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:03 PM

at what age is the senior discount?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:44 PM

i really don't know. they just look at me. :lol: i don't know how often they offer it, either. that was a wednesday and it was for that one day. you could use it for anything. it was in the mailer.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:49 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i really don't know. they just look at me. :lol: i don't know how often they offer it, either. that was a wednesday and it was for that one day. you could use it for anything. it was in the mailer.
Would I qualify? :mrgreen:
Old 09-22-2011, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
May, just curious, where is your nearest LQS? I was in Wildwood this past weekend and was looking for somewhere to go in the rain on Sat. and couldn't find anything nearby.
Nearest Joann's is on Route 35 in Shrewsbury, If you were coming north on 35 it's a little bit past Fort Monmouth which I hear in now officially closed.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:28 AM

Great advice gals. I may be taking a ride to Lancaster area and will check at Zooks for their Amish Blacks and also Sauders, their other shop. With so many quilt shops in the area I'm sure to find some MM black or a good quality black. May