Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tying quilts >

tying quilts

tying quilts

Old 09-22-2011, 04:26 AM

I don't think anyone answered the question on how to machine tack. I too, would like to be better at machine quilting but.........I tried! I have tied many a quilt but not really a fan of that technique...recently saw on here how to machine tack a quilt and I like this much, much better. Put your machine on zero stitch length and widest zigzag and just let er' go for however thick you want the tack....Most importantly, enjoy making your quilts.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:39 AM

Tying a quilt is a great way to get one done faster. I like them as well, my Grandmother always tied her quilts, she used old woolen blankets for her batting and sometimes she used sheets for the backing. What ever they had at the time as money was tight. Today anything goes as well, I personally feel that quilts should be used and not as decoration, but that is just a personal thing with me. Everyone has their own prefrence as to how to make and what to use, machine quilt or hand quilt fabric choice and colors it is all personal taste and pocket book. We all have the same outlook love of quilts. :-P
Old 09-22-2011, 04:50 AM

I have tied several quilt for family memebers. They all turned out nice, I am now hand-quilting some of my quilts and will have done some simple machine quilting on small quilts. One of these days I will try to machine quilt a bigger quilt on my dsm. I want to start doing fmq, but haven't gotten the nerve to do that yet.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:56 AM

That is the only way I do my quilts. Not to say anything against machine quilting. Seen some beautiful work done that way(all of them). Just that we have made close to 600 quilts for charity and that is the only way we can afford to finsh them before binding. Not to say someday will machine quilt, but my personal quilts are tied too. Can't sit long enough to hand stitch them all because mind working way ahead of what I am working on. Did hand quilt one baby blanket though, many years ago.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:05 AM

I guess I like the feel of using a hand tied quilt more than a stiff machine quilted one - more comfy and it curls around you more in the cold weather - but I do get most of my quilts machine quilted but not a tight quilting method - although some quilts are gorgeous with a lot of tight quilting - I do not care for them for using - they are more for admiring and having on display. That is my idea anyway - but each person has their own preference.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by mnmgirl
Originally Posted by Lori S
Tied Quilts are fine... I have been known to machine tack many a quilt ... I like machine tacking better than tieing.

How do you do this? What stitch is for tacking? Maybe I could try this, lol..maybe
I have tied many quilts in my days. I started out using yarn but found that after many yrs of washing them the fibers would wear out so I switched to embroidery floss & tie them using the 6 stands into 3 knots & cutting 1" from the knot. After that they have never worn or come out. We also do UTILITY quilts at my Church & use this same technique. Hoping to see more of your quilts.

:thumbup:
Old 09-22-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Tied Quilts are fine... I have been known to machine tack many a quilt ... I like machine tacking better than tieing.
I agree. A machine stitched "X" (you can go over it several time for strength) blends in the the quilt better than a tie, if the tie ends would be distracting to the design. Plus, you don't have to move the fabric around in the machine, just sew at one spot and move on to another.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by mnmgirl
Good morning....... I just wanted to know something. I have seen some beautiful quilts here, and am put to shame. I am a recent quilter, but my hands will not let me hand sew my quilts. I have tried to machine sew and it has ruined two quilts. So, I ended up tying my quilts. I have 7 quilts that are tyed.,and they came out fine. I would like to know how yall feel about tying them. I just feel inadequate about sewing them and i can't afford to have them quilted. So please give me some feedback......I will post pics soon..
Sometimes I tie with the knot to the back side. I use Crochet threads single strand, strong enough to tie. I run a really long running string at the points I want tied stitching up and then back down. Keep the string running as long as you can. Snip all threads between each point you want to tie.Make sure the string between points is extra long. Then tie the knots at least three times. Don't cut the knot strings too short. Approx. 1" will work Suggest practicing on scraps first.

One other thing I have done on a 9 patch is to machine stitch each patch corner using a 1/2" long stitch in the ditch and back stitch a couple of time to hold it. So far works pretty well and the stitches don't show on front. I use cotton thread on cotton fabric.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:13 AM

I've tied a couple and have one in the starting stages I think I'll end up tying too. IMHO - it all depends on what you want to do...it's your quilt and your creation!
Old 09-22-2011, 05:29 AM

Diana I hand tie all of my quilts because I am like you, I cannot do them on the sewing machine and cannot afford to have them done. I like mine just as well.