Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting? >

What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

What do you think is the most controversial subject in quilting?

Old 09-22-2011, 05:52 AM

I think the copyright thread was pretty controversial.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:14 AM

One of the ones I saw was spray basting.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:23 AM

Lot of feathers got ruffled over spell check/poor spelling.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by sgardner

The same mean girl said you shouldn't be making quilts for premature babies, because they can't sleep with them anyway. (She quoted some pediatric recommendation for no soft items in the crib. Funny, she completely ignored the picture of how to tuck the blanket over the baby's lower half, in conditions where a quilt or blanket is necessary.)
Wow, really? Who pooped in her oatmeal? The nursing staff in our NICU absolutely loved the preemie quilts we made, as did the parents. We thought we were doing it for the babies, but it was the parents who benefitted most -- many of them said that the fact someone made a quilt for their baby made the little one a real person, and not simply a little untouchable being in an isolette.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by kacie
Originally Posted by sgardner

The same mean girl said you shouldn't be making quilts for premature babies, because they can't sleep with them anyway. (She quoted some pediatric recommendation for no soft items in the crib. Funny, she completely ignored the picture of how to tuck the blanket over the baby's lower half, in conditions where a quilt or blanket is necessary.)
Wow, really? Who pooped in her oatmeal? The nursing staff in our NICU absolutely loved the preemie quilts we made, as did the parents. We thought we were doing it for the babies, but it was the parents who benefited most -- many of them said that the fact someone made a quilt for their baby made the little one a real person, and not simply a little untouchable being in an isolette.
I know! I absolutely could not believe that she was arguing not to share any love and warmth to people going through some trying times. My dd was in the NICU- thank goodness she did very well as a preemie and only stayed a week, but my heart broke as I watched the parents who were there months as their 2 lb fragile babies went through tons of surgeries and other procedures until they grew and were big enough and healthy enough to go home. The quilts offered color in the sterile environment, and offered a promise of something they could take home with their babies. I wonder if she had any heart at all, or if like the other person said, she's so selfish and wrapped up in her own world that she fails to really sympathize with anyone else.

I really agree that mean girls are a trend- sadly to say that a recent study said that women who are mean girls make more money than their nicer coworkers, and so it's promoted as a profitable thing to do. It spills over into groups like this one or on Facebook meant for people who share the same hobbies.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by hannajo
Losing "regular" status.

(This is a fun thread!)
How do we lose "regular" status? I am constantly reading the "Threads"..... don't get much quilting done, but I sure have a great time :thumbup:
Old 09-22-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Highmtn
Miriam.. I agree with your statement to a point.

HEATED controversy just spins topics off their main point. I've never understood WHY someone thinks that being the LOUDEST or most NASTY wins any debate. It just makes the person who's communicating in an angry mode lose their credibility in the conversation IMO.
I agree
Me, Too! now pass the Turkey and that last hot roll! hummed to the tune of :wink: "We are family, my mama and my brothers n sisters and me....." I have learned so much from this Board and I thank you all.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
And I'll be the first to admit when I see that, the child in me whines to know what that thread was all about!
Originally Posted by kacie
Originally Posted by doll-lady
it seems all the topics have been covered here. i don't think any have been left out.
What about when I click on a topic that looks really interesting and see the message, "Looks like this topic has been deleted." There must be something a whole lot more controversial than anything that has been mentioned so far, and I'll never know what it was!
I admit to once wondering, however; I can't help but think once I "KNOW" something....I can't ever "un-know" something, so I no longer go around looking under rocks.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Katy
Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by annthreecats
Have we discussed whether we should eat domestic chocolate or imported chocolate? I think a discussion on what brand of chocolate would be pretty controversial.
I think chocolate in the sewing room or not could get pretty controversial too.
Not so I my sewing room. There is usually some hidden there. It is NEVER near my wonderful fabrics. Neither is the Diet Coke that is almost always where ever I am. Both are always on a totally different surface. Chocolate and Diet Coke might be important but neither mixes well on fabrics or spilled on my precious sewing machines. Several of my LQS keep Quilter's vitamins available. They look a lot like M&Ms to me.
Thanks for the giggle (vitamins)
Old 09-22-2011, 05:01 PM

Love 'my quilt, my way'...there are all levels of quilters...what I do now is not how I did it when I started. Wash because I am allergic....I am beyond tying but do not police others if they do....copyright laws are crazy....buying from local shops vs. big box stores depend on who it is for relative vs. charity...I quilt because I love it....if policemen do not like too bad...I quilt with all levels from new to those in business...we have lots of fun and respect one another...