Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
True cost of making a quilt, part 2 >

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

Old 09-22-2011, 11:09 AM

Gutermann's cotton: I just finished quilting a laptop sized quilt with the smaller spools, only on top side. Other kind of thread in bobbin. I used 5.5 spools. I can't quote price cause I bought as I needed it.

I am much more disturbed at cost of thread than I am at cost of fabric!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by sewmary
Gutermann's cotton: I just finished quilting a laptop sized quilt with the smaller spools, only on top side. Other kind of thread in bobbin. I used 5.5 spools. I can't quote price cause I bought as I needed it.

I am much more disturbed at cost of thread than I am at cost of fabric!
Thanks sewmary. 5.5 for a lap quilt x 6= ?? x current cost of $4.57? I had already exited that website before thought to ask question...... better hurry back and order before price goes up. :lol:
Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 AM

This may sound stupid but when it comes to quilting I feel stupid.Cant you just use regular thread to quilt with?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by trrmite
I understand the cost of hand made quilts,but bieng on a very, very,very fixed budget, I refused to pay the cost of the high price fabric since every thing i do is a learning process. I keep all my reciepts. At the end of the year I plan to add-up and see how much I have spent on quilting. I do the same thing for my gardening hobby.
I like living in the land of denial...I throw all of my receipts away ASAP!! I don't EVEN want to know! LOL!! No hubby here, so I'm not hiding them from anyone but myself!

I do keep receipts for a while for items other than fabric just in case I need to return something. I would also keep receipts if making something for someone who is planning to reimburse me for materials...just so they know that I have given them an accurate quote.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:29 PM

I would be shocked to know what I spend of quilting. I do have a stash of fabrics and I still buy more to make a two color quilt like the winners circle or double Irish chain I allow 6 yards of each fabric than use sheets for backing which I buy new at Walmart and sometimes find them on sale but usually spend from 12.00 to 15.00 dollars per quilt than I have a long arm quilter she charges from 35.00 to 40.00 dollars per quilt and furnishes the batting. So I usually figrue that I have 130.00 to 150.00 for a queen size quilt. I am grateful for the chance the make quilts they give me something to think about and plan and when I have finished I can give them away to someone that loves them and uses them.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

LOL that is what I think.

Originally Posted by charismah
I think I want to go into denial. I don't want to keep track. :shock: