Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tying quilts >

tying quilts

tying quilts

Old 09-22-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by capucine
I, like you have trouble with the quilting and that put me off when i think of finishing a quilt it's my nightmare i have never tied a quilt before but would love to try and maybe finish a couple of quilt that's just laying. Maybe you can show how you tie yours? I would love to know how it's done, i am about to start a single bed quilt for my 7 year old grand daughter who has put in an order and has even design one on my quilt wizard:) with lots of squares and triangles God help me when I will start cutting and sewing:)

Tying is so easy. I take a large needle and put about 24 inches of the color I matched to the front of the quilt in it. I then put it through the quilt and make sure I have gone through all layers. Then I bring it back up and tie it. Then I cut it to whatever length I want it. I do this every 4-6 inches over and up and down. I start in the middle of the quilt. I usually do this on my table it makes it easier. I hope you find this easy to do. Just look in the search engine for tying a quilt. Good luck. Will post pics soon.

Originally Posted by mnmgirl
Good morning....... I just wanted to know something. I have seen some beautiful quilts here, and am put to shame. I am a recent quilter, but my hands will not let me hand sew my quilts. I have tried to machine sew and it has ruined two quilts. So, I ended up tying my quilts. I have 7 quilts that are tyed.,and they came out fine. I would like to know how yall feel about tying them. I just feel inadequate about sewing them and i can't afford to have them quilted. So please give me some feedback......I will post pics soon..
Old 09-22-2011, 02:37 PM

I have never done tying but after reading all these replies l have just the quilt to do this on for a first time, a king size disappearing nine patch scrappy. I was going to do an enlarged zigzag instead across the ditch in multi coloured thread which l have done before and looks very nice and also cover's a multitude of sins as some time my joins are not the best but tying sound easier doing it by hand.
Elsie Blight
Australia
Old 09-22-2011, 03:12 PM

I have tied a few myself, and have been known to machine tack one or two...that's fine! The main thing is to get them finished so someone can enjoy them!
Old 09-22-2011, 03:25 PM

I would staple them together if the staples were not likely to scratch me. Quite frankly, it is only a method to keep the three layers together so I don't see anything wrong with quilting,machining, tacking or tieing.As soon as permanent gluing is invented, that's the one I will use.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:57 PM

These are your quilts and as long as you are pleased with them then enjoy. I have tied quilts before when I wanted them to be a bit poofier for added warmth.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

There will always be someone who doesn't like hand tied quilts. In fact the guild I used to belong to would not allow tied quilt in their yearly quilt show. I was lucky enough to be able to take a class with Helen Wieneman (sp) of Heartbeat Quilts in Hyannis, MA on machine quilting. When asked about tied quilts, she pointed out a cover quilt on a well known quilt magazine was hand tied, and disagreed with the guild's decision not to have tied quilts in a quilt show, as that particular quilt was a lone star quilt. Until she told us it was tied, I doubt any of us would have known. If a tied quilt is good enough to be the cover quilt of a quilt magazine, your quilts deserve the same consideration. I believe, above all, that we should do what makes us happy and always that a quilt is our own art work, so we should do what works for us. I'm sure your quilts are beautiful.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by mnmgirl
Good morning....... I just wanted to know something. I have seen some beautiful quilts here, and am put to shame. I am a recent quilter, but my hands will not let me hand sew my quilts. I have tried to machine sew and it has ruined two quilts. So, I ended up tying my quilts. I have 7 quilts that are tyed.,and they came out fine. I would like to know how yall feel about tying them. I just feel inadequate about sewing them and i can't afford to have them quilted. So please give me some feedback......I will post pics soon..
tyed quilts are just as beautiful to me as the fancy quilted ones. so do not feel any shame. looking forward to your pics.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:34 PM

I'm with you on this, I tie all my quilts because I haven't learned to do them any other way and don't have time to stop and learn right now.
I have been able to kick out at least 70 quilts this year because I hand tie them. If I had to do them any other way, they would not have gotten done.

Sure I love some of the work I see others do but to me it only adds extra time and/or cost that I can't afford.

So all you folks that make the really pretty quilts with all the extra stitches, keep up the good work, they are oh so pretty to look at. But I will stick to my ties as long as I can do them.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:33 PM

hand tied quilts are generally fluffier and cozier to sleep under or wrap yourself in. I once fretted about that too and like each method. You dont get that warmth from a tightly quilted quilt. Just my humble opinion.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by ladybalcom
hand tied quilts are generally fluffier and cozier to sleep under or wrap yourself in. I once fretted about that too and like each method. You dont get that warmth from a tightly quilted quilt. Just my humble opinion.
i agree. when I do get LA work done it is the least amount they can do. Just had one done for my DD and it was perfect. The thick stuff is only nice on a wall hanging. (My opinion)